ix. ( the first day )

[009]  the first day❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

[009] the first day
❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE JUMPED OFF the pedestal as soon as the canon went off and swan like her life depended on it, which it did

BEATRICE JUMPED OFF the pedestal as soon as the canon went off and swan like her life depended on it, which it did. She threw her arms back in the water, gracefully trudging through the waves until she made it to the strip of land. She sprinted down the strip, careful not to slip, and made it to the island successfully. She was one of the first ones there.

Beatrice sprinted and grabbed the only scythe there, made just for her, and attached the belt of knives around her waist. The blonde heard running behind her, so she whipped promptly around and presented her scythe to the victim.

"Woah, blondie. Just me," a bronze-haired man exclaimed and put his hands up in mock-surrender. Finnick. Beatrice smiled and pulled him in for a quick hug.

"Sorry," Beatrice laughed, "I'm a little on edge. Not sure why." Finnick laughed at her crude sarcasm and grabbed the trident from the pile of weapons.

"Beatrice—" a feminine voice said from behind her before cutting off. The blonde girl spun around and saw Katniss standing behind her, arrow pointing directly at Finnick.

Beatrice put a hand up, blocking Finnick from Katniss. The man held up his wrist that had a golden bangle on it. Haymitch's bangle. Beatrice held a finger up, showing Katniss her gold ring with a mockingjay on it.

"Good thing we're allies, right?" Finnick remarked. Katniss still looked at him with hostility.

"Where did you get that?" Katniss asked, out of breath.

"Where do you think? Duck," Finnick instructed and Katniss got on the ground in an instant. Finnick threw his trident into the chest of the man sneaking up on Katniss. Boom. The brunette looked at him with surprise in her eyes. Beatrice quickly rushed over to Katniss and helped her get back on her feet.

"Don't trust One and Two," Beatrice told her as she stood up. The blonde squeezed Katniss's arm as a way to comfort her.

Finnick seized his trident from the man's chest, "I'll take this side, you two hold them off. I'll go find Peeta."