Twenty-five

Twenty-five / Calum

Austin and I rush our asses off to go find this Blaine Hawk guy.

"Sandra has a pretty fucked up life, eh?" Austin says as we fly down the stairs. The elevators at this damn hospital were so freaking slow so we decided to take the stairs.

I shrug. "It's not her fault, you know."

"Yeah, I know," he replies. "It's just that she's such a nice person. She deserves better."

I could not agree more.

We were just about to get in my car when Sandra's aunt came running towards us out of nowhere. I don't know how she got here so fast or how she managed to run with those torture devices on her feet (I'm talking about her heels).

"No one was at the genetics lab," she pants. "I want to come with you." She pants some more.

Before I could say anything, Austin says, "I call shotgun." I will never understand how Sandra can stand being friends with this guy.

It wasn't really hard to find this Blaine Hawk's house. There weren't a lot of houses in his neighbourhood; the majority were just empty lots. I parallel park my car and then we step out.

"You sure this is it?" Austin asks me.

I point at the mailbox with the word Hawk painted on it to answer his question.

While Austin and I bicker, Sandra's aunt was already at the front door, knocking. I see why Sandra can stomach him. I see myself in him, and he's got Justin's face.

We stop acting like doofuses when the front door opens. The door was answered by a blonde guy about my height, and he looks like he was around my age too. I wondered if this was Blaine.

"What do you want?" His voice sounds kinder than what he just said.

"We're looking for Blaine," Sandra's aunt replies. "Blaine Hawk, we know he lives here."

The dude looked uncomfortable. "What do you want with him?"

"Look, we just need to talk to him," I butt in. "It's about Carly Nichols and their son."

The mystery guy opened the door wider. "I'm the guy you're looking for," he says. "I'm Blaine Hawk. Come on in."

Blaine told us that he lived alone now. His mom apparently moved to Cleveland to keep an eye on his younger sister, so he had the place all to himself. He goes to the same school Sandra and Austin go to, and I asked Austin how the hell he didn't know who Blaine Hawk was when he went to the same college as him.

He just said that he didn't care much about the other students. He said he 'liked to keep for himself' with Sandra as an exception.

"Do you guys want anything? Do you want something to drink or something to eat?" He offers us. "I have some coffee and tea and beer..."

"No, we're fine. We just really need to talk to-" I began, but Austin cut me off.

"I'll have a beer!" Austin grinned.

Sandra's aunt and I kicked Austin at the same time the moment Blaine has his back against us. This little turd just doesn't stop.

"What was that for?" He asks us.

"Listen, you little shit, we're just here to talk to him," Sandra's aunt reminds him. "We're not here to stay."

Austin muttered profanity. Right on cue, Blaine returned with two cold Heinekens on both of his hands. He handed Austin the beer he wanted and then sat opposite us three.