Twelve

TWELVE
L u k e

"Have you got everything you need?" Carly asks me as I load the final bag onto our van.

We're going back on tour today, and we're touring almost all of the states. I don't want leave Columbus yet. I'm just getting the hang of being on vacation, and now it's being taken away from me.

But I try not to mind. I know that I have a kid of my own now (the authenticity is still debatable but I'll call Dev my kid until proven), and I can't accept Liz's help (not that she's offering any because I know she hates every fibre of Carly's being).

I earn more than enough money for myself, and the reason why it's more than enough is that mom doesn't touch any of the money I get. She's awesome that way. She always say to me and my siblings that when we get money of our own, we keep it to ourselves because she and dad knows how hard it is to come by.

Now that I've got Carly and Dev to worry about, I've got enough money-period. Not that I'm complaining. I'm not that kind of guy. But it feels wrong to support my own family at such a young age-I'm still seventeen, mind you, but a few more weeks and I'll turn legal.

Plus, Carly couldn't possibly help getting more money to support Dev since she was kicked out of school when they found out she was pregnant. Her parents are dead. She only has her sister now, who helps her take care of Dev and of everything she needs. I almost feel sorry for her.

Snap out of it, asshole, I say to myself. You're the reason she can't live the life she once wanted. You fucked her up, literally and metaphorically.

Right.

"Have you got everything you need?" Carly repeats, and this time, her tone isn't caring.

"Yeah," I reply coldly. "I guess."

"Dadadadadadadadadad," Dev mumbles as he clumsily makes his way from the front door to me.

He's a year & a month old now, and he just started to learn how to say stuff and walk (a little). I'm not going to lie; I've grown fond of the kid. Even though I don't feel the paternal connection that I should whenever I look at him, I have to say, he's easy to love. I'm not a hundred percent sure that he's mine, but I love him. I promised to him once while he's sleeping that I'm going to find out who his real father is, and if he turns out as a douchebag, I'm going to take him under my wings.

"Hey, buddy," I hold his little chubby arms.

"Dadadadadad," he continues to say.

"You take care of yourself, tiny dude," I say, chuckling. "Take care of your mom too, while I'm gone. It's not going to take long, just a couple of weeks. I'll be home before you know it." I kiss Dev's cheek.

From my peripheral vision, I swear I saw Carly smile. She actually looks kind of pretty when she's not yelling at me or frowning. She doesn't look like a woman who has given birth. She still gives off that American-sweetheart kind of aura, like she's sweet as a pie. I'm trying not to be fooled.

I turn to Carly. "So, you're going away too?"

"Yeah. I had my annual check-up results yesterday and something's wrong." She does look a little sick. Why haven't I noticed that? Oh, yeah, that's right. I don't like her. But I'm trying to like her. For the sake of Dev.

"What's wrong? Are you sick or something?" I ask, trying to sound concerned.

"Don't worry about it. Besides, only a few tests will be conducted so I won't be gone long. A few days, tops. Don't worry about Dev, too. I've got someone to look out for him while I'm away," she says softly.

Man, it's so hard to hate her so strongly while she's this soft and delicate. She actually looks like a nice person. Well, a nice and sick person, but a nice person nonetheless. She doesn't look like the Carly I met, intimidating and all.

"Are you sure you're okay? You look more than 'a little sick'."

"Luke." She gives me that look when I'm being stubborn. But it's not a glare. But a kind of look like she's done with my shit but we're best friends. Who are you and what have you done with Carly?

"Okay, I won't push," I say. "Take care of Dev." I was about to hop onto the van when I remembered something. "You're not going to leave Dev with mom, are you?"

She rolls her eyes at me. "I'm not that stupid, Luke. I know your mom loathes me. Of course I didn't."

"Well, okay," I finally say. "Bye."

And I did something I've never thought of doing in a million years: I kissed her on the cheek.

I don't know why I did either. It was like a heat-of-the-moment thing. I saw her blush, I can feel myself blushing, and Dev's not helping because he's going all, "Yayayayayay, momomomom, dadadadad," like he's cheering us.

"Sorry." And I finally get in the van.

This can't be. I'm actually softening up for her. It's like Stockholm syndrome or something. She's my captor and I'm her victim. And we're starting to trust and care for each other.

That's what Dev is for, I think. He's here for Carly and me to become friends, if not lovers.

"Duuuuuuuuuude," Calum began. "What was that, huh?" He nudges me.

"I don't know," I mutter. I'm as shocked as they are.

I look out the window I still see Carly dumbfounded, Dev clinging to her leg and waving at me. She's still blushing. She finally snaps out of her trance when she looks down at her pocket. I think her phone's ringing.

"Are we all set?" Marcus, our driver, asked us.

The guys simultaneously cheered yes.

"Okay. First stop: DC!"

The guys simultaneously cheered some other words.

But I'm not cheering. Because I saw Carly's mouth say Sandra's name before we veer out of the street.