Epilogue

Epilogue / Sandra

Years later

Movies have been lying to us for years.

For instance, in movies, graduation is awesome. Like they only get to the part where they say your name and then something great happens like your crush finally notices you, etc., that kind of crap. In real life... not so much.

But when it's all finally over, it feels so good. I've worked my ass off for four years, and now I'm free. Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf.

I have interned in a few companies when I was in my last two years in college, and some of them contacted me and said they'll be thrilled if I work for them soon. Unfortunately, they were all out of the country, which means I have to leave beautiful Ohio.

"Congratulations, sweetie," my mom said. "Jerry and I are so proud of you. If Carly and your dad were here..."

"They'd be proud of me too," I finished her sentence for her with a smile. "I know, mom. I know."

"Congrats, Sandy," Jerry hugged me. For some reason, he's the only person I allow to call me Sandy. I'm not really sure why, but that's just the way it is. Maybe he's destined to be my second father.

"Thanks, Jer."

"Sweetie, I almost forgot," my mom butted in, "Justin's parents are here!"

I literally felt my blood rise up my cheeks. "Why, what are they going here?"

"Don't be nervous," Jerry assured me. "They just want to congratulate you. Look," he said, pointing at two people in the distance. "Go talk to them, they came a long way."

And so I did. I haven't seen these people in so long. I don't hate them or anything; it's not like that at all. They just remind me so much of Justin. But that doesn't bother me anymore. I've learned to face my fears because of him. I'm all over them now.

"Hi Mr. & Mrs. Taylor," I greeted them politely.

"Sandra, dear," Mrs. Taylor hugged me. "Please, call us Max and Camille."

"I'm sorry, I can't," I admitted. "It's just too awkward to call people who are way older than you by their first names."

"I like her, Camille," Mr. Taylor laughed. "She's a frank one! Ha-ha! She would've been perfect for Justin if he just didn't..." Then his voice trailed off.

"Max," Mrs. Taylor scolded him. "We talked about this." Mr. Taylor nodded. She looked back at me. "Congratulations for finishing school, Sandra."

"Thank you, ma'am," I smiled. "Although I would've imagined Justin would be here too with both of you, congratulating me."

"We know, kid. We know," Mr. Taylor agreed.

To end the heavy topic, Mrs. Taylor said in a cheerful tone, "That's why we needed to give you this."

She handed me an old white envelope. It was obvious that it was old, it was turning yellow, and it felt like it was going to crumble under my fingers. I wondered what it was and who wrote it.

I was about to ask what it was, but when I looked back up, the Taylors weren't there anymore.

I gingerly turned the envelope over, face side up, and read what was written on it:

To Sandra

It was for me.

I wondered who it was from.

I opened the envelope. The adhesive that kept it closed didn't work any longer because of the paper's age. I had no problem opening it.

The first thing that I saw inside the envelope was a picture of me and Justin the day we travelled Ohio filing admissions for the universities he was interested in. It hurt to see that picture, but not as much as I expected it would hurt. One thing was for sure: Justin wrote this.