13.

While Jose uncle was reading a book in his room, I watched my final lecture for the day on the laptop.

"Everything you need for your assignments will be up on the unit site," the lecturer was saying in her fuzzy camera. I yawned; thank God my video was turned off so she couldn't see my ratty state. That was the best thing about these online classes.

I hadn't realised it had become night until the door creaked open. I stopped typing, my ears perked. Romir emerged from the small hallway and out into where the kitchen and living room were situated. His white shirt was smeared with black tar and the bandana that was originally wrapped around his forehead was now tied around his neck.

Turning my head stiffly back to my laptop, I put the volume back up. I typed in notes, watching from my peripheral vision as he went through the curtain in the other nook. I heard a door being knocked on.

"I'm reading," came Jose uncle's voice.

"All right," came Romir's voice. "I'm going to shower but you should get ready for dinner."

"I'm already dressed up."

The curtain flung in the air as he came back through it. "Get ready."

Why was he saying the same thing again? Jose uncle already heard it. His figure didn't leave and so I lowered the volume. Romir was looking at me this time.

"What?" I asked.

"I said get ready."

"I have a lecture to listen to."

"I'm going to go shower. We're going to the dinner after." As if I hadn't even spoken, he turned and headed back into our room. Was this guy for real? Who gave him the right to boss me around like this? Didn't he say whether or not I came it was my choice?

Apparently, that was all just for show and I really didn't have a choice.

I'm not going to move not until after he finishes showering. As the bathroom door shut, another door opened and the creaking of wheels made me stick my neck up. Jose uncle was hurrying toward me.

"It's probably best you get dressed early, Arshia. He won't be able to say anything to you otherwise."

He wanted to avoid us fighting once again. I guess for him I should listen. It was just a dinner with a neighbour, though, not like it was a work client.

I hesitated. "School is important to me, Jose uncle. This is the last lecture. There's only, like, ten minutes left. Please? I'll get ready after that."

"Alright."

But in those ten minutes Romir had gotten out. Earlier than I'd expected. Oh shit. Okay, so maybe I wanted to avoid a fight, too, but I hadn't been expecting him to be so quick with a shower.

"Why aren't you dressed?" came the deep voice. He didn't need to raise his voice to be heard. I cleared my throat and tried to sit up straighter.

"My lecture's nearly done."

"Is it live?"

"Yeah—"

"It would be recorded, wouldn't it?"

"Maybe, but—"

"Then what's the fuss," he deadpanned. "Finish the rest when we come back."

I couldn't ask questions if I had any! I tried to breathe out through my nose, calming the bubbling rage that was beginning to build in the sides of my head.

"It's nearly done," I said. "What's the point of watching two minutes of a recorded lecture when I could be finished with it now?"

I could almost hear the grinding of his teeth from here. "We had a deal," he said, level. "We were going to go through with this and be amicable for our family. You're not very good at keeping your promises, are you?"