51.

Mum called me after work the following week. I couldn't stop thinking about Anjali's words the entire time.

"Why don't you come over for dinner tonight?"

I chewed and swallowed my huge bite of the floppy McDonald's cheeseburger in my car. It was a long day and I needed some junk food adrenaline in me.

"Why? I'm eating five star meals, mum." Kids were yelling after their dad as they carried their happy meals to the car.

I sighed internally.

"Wai—are you outside? Don't tell me you're eating a burger."

I paused in taking a big bite. "How'd you know?"

"I think I know my own child. I carried you for ten months."

"Nine. What is it with you and exaggerating?"

"It might as well have been ten."

Snickering didn't help since I still had food in my mouth that spurted out. Ew. I cleaned myself up before rolling up the paper bag and chucking it on the seat beside me. "Fine. I'll come to dinner. What's on the menu?"

"Chicken biryani."

That only brought me back to the time he'd bought me chicken biryani for the first time. Now that I thought about, it had to have been him to remove all the ingredients I didn't like. He'd even made it for me.

"Isn't there anything else?"

"Did you want something else made? I can—"

"No, it's okay, mum. If you've already made it then that's cool with me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. But why the sudden call?"

"I'm worried about you. Anjali told me she talked to you and explained everything."

"It's more complicated now that she has." I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot of McDonald's. "I don't know what to believe anymore."

I wanted to believe Romir because I loved him, but I was afraid. What if this was all just a trap to make me look like a fool again? Maybe I was the fool for over thinking.

I just didn't know anymore.

"Believe in yourself. Now, dress up nice when you come over, okay? Pampering will do you some good."

That was the worst idea ever. The last thing I wanted to do was pamper myself but hey, mothers knew best. So I entertained it. "Thanks, mum. I'll see you at dinner."

Once I got home, I was getting ready to take a shower and chill for a little while before I watched the recorded lectures on my laptop. That was when I spotted something I had neglected for a month.

The gift that Romir had bought me. I had taken it from the couch and shoved it into whichever closet space I could find.

Open it.

Hands trembling, I reached out. I sat down on the bed and placed it on my lap. I ran a hand over the red wrapping paper before ripping the tape away and unravelling it. It was a white box with a lid. Opening it, there was the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen.

A blood red ruched cami dress with a deep sweetheart neckline and asymmetrical hem that had a thigh split. It reminded me of a faux-wrap style dress; those were my style of outfits. I pressed it against my chest, trying to hold back any tears. There was a note in the bottom of the box and I plucked it out.

Happy Birthday. This dress reminded me of you.

That was all it said but I knew Romir by now. He was a man of short words but everything he said meant something or the other. With those few words, he was genuine.