24.

That morning, I stared up at the ceiling of the room, hands interlocked on my stomach. Romir was beside me, on the other side of the pillow barrier. His chest fell up and down but not rhythmically.

I couldn't see his face but I wondered if he was sleeping. I hadn't gotten any sleep last night, twisting and turning in my spot; one of the many reasons I wished I was back in England so I could use up all the room on my bed. No one would complain.

But here, I wasn't alone.

Get dressed.

I forcibly pushed the warm blankets off my body and tied my hair in a messy bun before getting everything ready for me to freshen up. Feeling recharged and refreshed after a short shower, I came back into the room to see that Romir wasn't there.

The sheet on his side of the bed was still messy so I'd figured he'd just gotten out. Which was weird since his side of the bed was always the cleanest.

Drying my hair, I hurried out. Romir was in the kitchen making breakfast. Awkwardly, I grabbed an apple and turned to leave.

"Wait," he said, stopping me. We both stood there like statues. He moved his jaw from side to side seemingly as confused and awkward as I was in that moment.

I waited, but he didn't say anything.

"Uh...yeah?"

"Where are you going?" he managed to ask. The words were strung oddly, like he didn't know how to have a conversation.

"To visit Jose uncle."

He turned his back in my direction. I thought that that was a dismissal of some sort when he spoke. "I'll come with you."

"Okaaay? I'll see you there, then."

"No." I halted in my tracks once again. Romir was facing me fully, now. "We can go together."

"Together?"

"Yeah." He didn't elaborate so I stood there, squinted eyes on him. What was this game he was playing? Like, what even? He didn't move or go 'sike' like I'd expected him to. Besides, that would be out of character.

Not like this wasn't.

"What do you mean? On the rickshaw...?"

"We can take my bike."

On that bike where I would be risking my life with no proper protection? And on top of that having to rely on him to get back?

Yeah, no way.

"Uhh...no thanks," I said, still confused, inching backward toward the front door. "I'll just see you there."

***

"Go get something to eat," Jose uncle waved me away. "I can feed myself today."

I had tried to argue but he was a pretty stubborn man when he wanted to be. Romir had shown up with Jose uncle's favourite food, paratha and paneer, wrapped up in a container.

"You should be eating healthy, clean food," I said.

"This is tasty food."

I snickered since he was too focused on stuffing his face with that to care. Letting him be, I got up and headed out the door. I looked at the signs pointing down where the cafe was. Should I just get a small snack from the vending machine down at the far end?

In the end I decided to go to the vending machine. I wasn't exactly hungry. I put some coins in the slot and picked a number for some Lays chips; the Magic Masala chips that I'd so craved since coming here but never got the chance to eat.