29.

Okay, so maybe I was exaggerating just a little bit.
But every time I thought about what he did at that movie theatre, my stomach churned. Maybe it wasn't such a stretch calling him dangerous.

Preethi had said he was violent and started fights in college so who knew what he did and what else he was capable of! I mean, the vibe I got from him now told me that he was tame. But why?

He stuck out his hand, blocking me from opening the apartment door. "This stays between us," he demanded.

I nodded. I didn't want Jose uncle to worry and ruin his happiness when he had found a reason to stay happy.

He had been so close to getting arrested, too, and the thought made me shudder. The legalities that would follow would be a nightmare. Thankfully, England was less than a week away.

"Wait," I said, stopping him from entering. I pointed to the bandage on his hand and the little tiny bandages on his brow and swollen nose. "Jose uncle's gonna ask about those."

He clenched his eyes shut in irritation. Thinking quick, I took off my cardigan and placed it on his hand. "Pretend to be...I don't know, doing something with that. So long as it hides that bandage."

I reached up and mussed his already-wild hair so that it hung over his brows instead of being pushed back and away. I felt a tingle but ignored it, trying to fix some wavy strands. Now instead of looking like a man, he looked like a young boy.

"There. That'll hide the bandaid on the brow somewhat. The nose..." I trailed off, seeing his gaze rooting me to the floor. I stepped back. "Sorry. Too close."

"I'll wear a mask," he said instead, as if I hadn't completely embarrassed myself by getting all up in his business.

"Yeah, a COVID mask would work. You have it with you?"

"It's in one of the drawers inside." Before I could protest he continued, "I'll be quiet."

So that's what we did. We made sure that the door didn't make too much of a creaky noise to alert their attention and tip-toed inside. Well, I tip-toed inside. Romir strode toward the shelf like we hadn't agreed to be quiet and pulled out a black mask from the third drawer.

His nose and mouth and chin all covered, his eyes stood out. They were the perfect shape for a man, downturned but slightly almond shaped— the green and brown swirling in his orbs so light it reminded me of a golden autumn leaf with tiny black specks.

His long, brown lashes seemed to get thicker toward the edge. His brows were so beautifully shaped and dark without even needing to go to a beautician, like Jade had said.

I forced myself to look away. A part of me was envious that he had such good looks. If he was a bit lacking in that department then this would have been a whole lot easier. But then again, I hadn't really noticed his features being so...semi-attractive until now. Instantly Varun and Claudia popped up into my head.

She had sharp, light brown eyes with long lashes, too. She was beautiful. People only went after beautiful things. That was why Varun had gone after her.

"That was quick," a sarcastic voice said.

I jumped. It was Jose uncle. He flicked on the light and peered at the both of us; I nearly let out a sigh of relief. Thank God Romir had gotten a mask in time. If we had been a second late then there would have been chaos.

"We stopped by to get dinner after the movie," said Romir.

For safe measure I said, "And there was a lot of traffic."

"Why are you wearing a mask?"

"There was a guy coughing right near us while we were waiting in line," I rushed to add. A flicker of exasperation flashed across Romir's face. Oops. I was speaking for him because I was nervous we were going to be caught. I cleared my throat. "It was super gross."