38.

Waking up wasn't so dreary anymore. The sun beating down through my window behind our bed felt warm and represented the smile on my face compared to the usual sadistic joy on my dampening day it gave me.

The pillow barrier between us was gone and I relished the news that we were becoming friends. I stretched, my arms over my head, noting the side of his bed that was always neatly done. I got up with a bounce and cleaned my own side of the bed, my hands on my hips, feeling reenergised.

Romir even sat with me on the floor during dinner now. The first time he did it, he was so awkward and I was so confused. I'd looked at him, not bothering to pause the movie. "You don't want to sit at the dining table?"

"It can get boring." He didn't elaborate any further and casually shoved a piece of paratha in his mouth. I could feel myself smiling then and smiling now, just thinking about it.

Work wasn't a boring, stressful endeavour anymore either. I loved talking to the clients about all my flower knowledge and listening to their stories of who they were going to surprise with them, be that their mother, boyfriend, sister, partner—it was all special, like I was a part of it.

"You're in a good mood today," acknowledged Amber, holding a file. "Your husband surprise you with breakfast in bed?"

"Not exactly," I muled with a grin. "I guess I just woke up on the right side of the bed today."

"Keep waking up on that side because I like that glow on your face." There's a glow on my face? She pointed to the single flowers still laid on the counter. "Don't forget to arrange those bouquets. These will be in-demand soon enough."

"Leave it to me."

Jade texted me during my lunch break in the back room in response to the message I'd sent her last night. Romir's idea had given me an idea— who best to ask around and snoop around other than my best friend who knew the ins and outs of stalking people on social media?

Jade: apparently varun and claudia have an art show going on for her paintings.

Me: when is that?

Jade: on the 16th starting from 4.

That meant next week. A few days before their wedding! I had work that day, but I could pull some strings and get off early.

Me: thx jade, ily!

Jade: why're you going anyway? I thought you hated varun.

Me: well I do but...I mean, it's a public exhibition and I want to see how good her art is.

Jade: ngl but this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Me: Trust me! It'll be fine. I have Romir with me.

Jade: does he even know that your ex is gonna be there?

Me: Course, that's the whole reason we're going. He came up with the brilliant idea.

Jade: ...what?

Me: trust me. I know what im doing.

Jade: for your sake I hope you do.

To be honest, I hope I did, too.

***

For dinner, I was watching yet another YouTube video, my hands shaking as I tried to slice a tomato that refused to be obedient under my fingers.

Ugh, this stupid, slippery piece of—

"You g—"

I screamed and whirled around, holding my knife out. Romir stepped back, holding up his hands. He was still in his outfit from work, the bandana he always wore tied around his forehead. It made him look so badass that my heart jittered.