48.

"Surprise!"

Two party poppers with rainbow streams flew over my head. My mum and dad were standing near the front door, beaming at me.

"What're you guys doing here?" I asked as dad engulfed me into a tight hug. I missed the warmth and love that came with having a parent around.

"Did you forget your own birthday?" he demanded.

My birthday. Shit. With everything that was going on it had completely slipped my mind.

"Oh...oh yeah! My birthday." I forced a laugh and wrapped my arms around mum's neck. "I could never forget my own birthday. Thanks for coming over."

I just hoped Anjali hadn't said anything to them. Seeing how light they carried themselves, I knew she hadn't. Romir was setting up the table and the cake. A long, flat box covered in wrapping paper sat on one of the chairs.

He was dressed up so nicely, a dark green dress shirt untucked and dark blue jeans; his hair was still the same, a little wild but it was neat, as if he took the time in getting ready.

I ground my teeth and looked away. "Did you get me a gift?" I addressed my parents.

Mum whipped out an envelope. "Money for you, on behalf of the both of us."

"You two suck."

"We love you, too."

I placed the money on the table and deliberately pretended that I hadn't seen Romir or the gift. It was probably obvious since it was big and right next to the cake but I didn't make a move to ask what it was.

"You're not curious about your gift?" he finally asked.

"How'd you even know?" I shot back, icily.

Mum and dad stilled and glanced at each other. Dad jumped in to say, "We told him last time they were over."

"I don't want gifts this year." I rubbed my forehead for show. "I have a massive headache. Can you guys come over some other day?"

"Are you okay, sweetie? Put some Tiger Balm and then maybe we can celebrate—"

"Dad. I don't want to celebrate this year so come back another time. Okay?" I knew I was being harsh seeing the way his expression dimmed. He suddenly looked ten times older. Mum gently pushed him toward the front door. Briefly, I caught Romir's jaw flexing. At the front door, mum rubbed my arm.

"Whatever's going on, I hope you get through it." She kissed my forehead. "Happy birthday. We love you." When they left, I nearly cried. I was so rude to them. What was wrong with me? Dad didn't know what was going on in my personal life.

I was a little unsteady on my feet as I pushed past Romir and gathered the gift, chucking it onto the couch.

"Your problem is with me, not with your parents," said Romir from behind me. His voice was low, laced with an edge of irritation.

Oh, he really wanted to go there.

I spun around. "You don't get to tell me what to do. Not after what you did. Not after the lies you fed me."

"If you'd let me explain then everything will make sense to you."

"What is there to explain, Romir? Seriously, what could you possibly say to make this any better? You hid this from me. You didn't want me finding out that you had dated my sister once upon a time because of your sick, revenge plan. You used me. That's all there is to it."

"Not everything is black and white. I hadn't known you were her sister when I met you. As long as I'd been with her, she never talked about her family. It was a coincidence."