26.

"Jose!"

Tamara aunty sped toward him, even in that saree of hers, and launched herself at him. I went to say he was hurt—but seeing Jose uncle's face transform from grave to affection in a split second and how his arms brought her closer, I couldn't bring myself to say anything.

She kneeled beside him and cupped his cheek, crying while Jose uncle grabbed her hands and kissed them over and over. A very affectionate reunion indeed. A tear ran down my cheek for some reason and I swiped at it. Maybe it was seeing the unadulterated grin on his face. I hadn't seen that before.

Sniffling, I turned to the side to look for a tissue when I caught Romir staring. Seeing me look at him, however, made him casually turn back to survey Jose uncle and Tamara aunty. He was probably wondering what we were going to do.

Now that he didn't see me as a threat to Jose uncle, he was willing to include me. So I walked over to him while the other two were busy.

"I know you don't like it when I butt into your business," I began in a whisper, "but since Jose uncle is a part of my life now, I think I have a say. I don't know what it is you want, but I think he should be given the choice to move back if that's what he wants. If he wants to come with us to England in a few weeks then he can but if he doesn't...we have to let him choose."

Romir didn't respond. I left him alone. He heard me of course, and he was probably dwelling on it. Whatever the case, I would know soon enough.

Tamara aunty clapped her hands. "Tonight's dinner is on me," she announced, the sneer that I'd first seen on her face nowhere to be found. She hurried over to the kitchen with Jose uncle following her. She whirled around and wagged a finger in his face. "No following me. This is a surprise."

"I have not seen you in years. Let me see that beautiful face of yours."

She blushed and I scratched at my cheek, suddenly uncomfortable. "You can see it later," she winked, heading into the kitchen.

"Uh, let me help you," I said to no one in particular, wanting to get away from the situation. I followed her. She was bent down, peering into the fridge. "Anything specific you're looking for?"

"Where do you keep your vegetables?"

Maybe I shouldn't have been the one to help. I had no idea we even had vegetables stocked in specific places. "I don't think there are—"

"I just need a few tomatoes."

"Oh, uh, they should be in the pantry or the fridge." I opened the long vertical door right next to the fridge. "Do you need help with anything else?"

She flicked a gold-bangled hand in the air. "No. This is my redeeming moment." I nodded and spun around. "By the way," she stopped me. "Sorry for my rudeness earlier. It was uncalled for."

I shook my head. "Seeing a strange woman in an apartment that you used to live in and being unsure of the situation with Jose uncle contributed to that. I get it."

Her face softened as she smiled at me. "Now go sit with the other two. I have a daughter-in-law I need to impress."

My chest bloomed. Well, this had changed quickly. I was being accepted. How long had it been since that had happened?

***

"Guess what I made?" sang Tamara aunty, holding a black tray of something. Steam bellowed from the top as she placed it in the middle of the table.

Jose uncle peered into it. "That's just kebab skewers."

She swatted his shoulder. "Why don't you come help me, then?"

"I would love to help your beautiful self if only you'd have let me earlier!"

"Oh, stop."

"Wait, bend down a little," he whispered. She did and he swiped at something near her lips. "Your lipstick was smeared. You're such a mess." 

She blushed and looked down. I cleared my throat. God, this was awkward. Grabbing the glass in front of me, I went into the kitchen and filled it up with water before coming back. They were still giggling.

"I wore it for you," she cooed. "I know red's your favourite."

"You still look beautiful with and without it."

"Oh, stop it, you silly old man."

I took a huge gulp of my water, shifting awkwardly in my seat. Peering over the glass at Romir, he was staring at the table, arms crossed. He looked as uncomfortable as I was. I brought out my phone and decided to watch YouTube to distract myself from the flirtatious bantering that was going on right at the table. Scrolling through YouTube shorts soon got boring and so I went into messages and texted Jade.

Me: been a while. How have you been?

Jade didn't respond until a few minutes later. I took a sip of my water.

Jade: i haven't told you!? i have a boyfriend!

I nearly choked on the drink. Jade had a boyfriend? The emptiness in my chest only became wider. I wasn't there to go through this with my best friend. I wasn't the one she told first, probably, because I was over here caught up in a big lie, a big mess that I created for myself.

She had someone. Even Jose uncle had someone now.

My hand shook but I tried to keep it steady thinking of a positive, encouraging response so that Jade didn't know how jealous of her I actually was.

Me: who?! Do I know this guy?

Jade: no he's a friend of the girl I work with. He's so cute.

Me: send pic?

Jade: you know it! Gotta make sure he's better than your guy :p

I rolled my eyes. I knew she meant in terms of looks but personality-wise literally anyone would be better than Romir. Well, he was tolerable, now, but still.

Me: and is he?

Jade: 100%. Jokes aside he's such a gentleman. He treats me like im the only one he ever wants.

Me: How did it happen? Tell me deetssss

Jade: he apparently had the hugest crush on me at work and I didn't even know until he kissed me out of the blue a few weeks ago.

So while I was here buried in my own problems, she was having a fairytale romance. Ugh, shut up. Be happy for your best friend!

Me: Sounds like a prince! :D I'm so happy for you bby x you deserve the best.

Jade: aww ily x cant wait until you're back so we can go out on double dates and stuff!

If only, I thought. There was too much drama going on and Romir and I were only platonic strangers now at best. The thought of coming back and embarrassing myself and facing everyone including Varun was the only thing in my head at the moment. There was a huge frown on my face that I couldn't seem to wipe even as I tried to re-read the nice words I'd sent.

Of course, I was happy for her and Jade really did deserve the best. She was a sweetheart. I just wanted the same for myself. Feeling my head tingle, I glanced at Jose uncle to see that he had gone off with Tamara aunty leaving just me and Romir at the table.

Turning to Romir who was sitting opposite me, I nearly jumped. He was watching me again. Had he seen the frown on my face? Could he read the conflict running through me? I put my phone face down on the table and leaned back into the chair, gulping down the rest of the water and looking everywhere but at him.

This was a good thing. Today was a happy day. It wasn't supposed to be about me.