⁸ because it is you...

Jaemin was only half heartedly listening to his friend's words. He even flipped his head around to pretend he was attuned. "Oh wow really?" He knew Jeno didn't care if he was really listening or not. He would just continue talking anyway. The way his smile fainted but stayed plastered just enough to be passive bothered Jaemin. He wished others wouldn't hide their true intent behind smiles but because it was him, he learned to endure it.

"...So that's why I have to cover their shift tomorrow morning," he continued.

Jaemin received his popcorn from the attendant. "I see."

He promised Jeno they'd only do the 'jock-slide-thru' tonight. Since J was a seasoned athlete, apparently they were only supposed to attend social events for a small moment. So by now he was clearly exhausted. "Can we go now?"

The ambient lights, swinging rides and thrilling screeches all caused an environment of turmoil. Jaemin actually couldn't be around a lot of sensory but powered through it because for his first school event, he refused to follow made up etiquettes. "I'm having fun."

"I know you're not." Jeno challenged. "You hate carnivals. and you hate popcorn". he reached into the bucket and threw a piece into his mouth.

"hey! you didn't ask!" jaemin said, pulling the bucket closer to him. "If you must go you can."

"Not without you. how will you get home?"

Jaemin thought for a moment, "I'll call my sister."

"It's late, she's not going to come out. she will say, pabo why didn't you come back with Jeno."

Jaemin snickered at the perfect imitation. He knew it was true since his sister was the type to not budge once she was inside.

"Fine, we can go." Jaemin said giving up his act. he felt he should be considerate that he had work in the morning. "Sorry I kept you out so late."

"It's okay," Jeno said, throwing his hands over the boy's shoulder. It was like he was a crossing guard at times from the way they walked so close together. Peers would gossip that they walked that way so no one could hear their conversation. Little did they know, Jaemin didn't care to be secretive and Jeno was just a soft speaker so overtime he grew accustomed to being in other's personal space.

❡ On the way out they spotted Chenle by the stage. Haechan's little sister was stretched out onto his lap from the seat beside him.

Jeno stuffed his hands into his coat pocket, "Hey Chen, me and Jae are headed out. Do you guys need a ride?"

Chenle looked around, but without the guys he couldn't leave because he had Hani with him. "Eh..don't worry about us. Get home safe."

They exchanged goodbyes and the two boys disappeared to the back parking lot where they entered. Chenle looked down at the little girl on his lap, she'd fallen asleep after watching the performances. As usual, he was left the babysitter because her poor big brother was probably somewhere flirting. He decided to phone him, "Where are you two knuckleheads?"

Haechan was speaking loudly on the other end so Chenle had to pull the device a little from his ear. "I'm on my way to the front now!"

When the two met, Chenle noticed that Jisung wasn't with him. "Where's Jiji?"

Haechan huffed. "I lost the boy long ago!"

"Where'd he go?"

He reached down to grab Hani but she squirmed and fought with him in her sleep. "Probably in his bed! where this one should be."

Chenle then decided to carry her instead and her little head flopped onto his shoulder. "That's why you should have taken her back home earlier, now she has a stomachache from eating too much candy!"

"Hey! don't tell me how to brother!" Haechan yelled back.

"your big brother skills suck, now give me money for watching her."

They'd now reached the parking lot across the street. "How about I give you a ride home?" Hae said, dangling his mum's keys in the air. He was the only one with his license.

Chenle's arms felt loose like noodles after carrying the kid and he was a bit cranky, "Aishh! Just open the door, you tomato."