15

Billie stopped on the way to the next interview at a small café so that we could get breakfast

Billie stopped on the way to the next interview at a small café so that we could get breakfast. There was only one other customer inside and two baristas. While the two girls, about my age, began to freak out about serving Billie, I noticed the other customer sneaking a video with their phone.

I quickly looked back at the two girls and away from the person who was taking a video. I had never been filmed like that before. It made me realize how Billie must feel and has felt for her entire life; unable to do everyday activities without someone constantly watching her. Hesitantly, I slipped my hand away from Billie's, putting it in the pocket of my (her) jacket. Although she didn't react much to the action, her eyes glanced my way for a split second before focusing on the girls again.

After a few minutes of chatting and taking pictures with the two, Billie told them she was in a bit of a rush and they asked us what we wanted to order.

"I'll have a hot green tea and this." She said, swiping up a plastic container of fruit and placing it on the counter. "What would you like?" She turned and asked me, her voice changing slightly and becoming a bit softer and smoother.

"Can I get..." I paused for a moment, scanning what food options they had out. "A green tea as well- also hot, and the vegan chocolate chip cookie?" I asked.

One of the girls left to start making the teas while the other started registering our order in an ipad that was on the counter. "Of course, and would you like that warmed up?" She asked me.

"Yes please." I said and she smiled and typed a few things before turning the ipad around.

"That'll be $11.08, go ahead and fill that out and we'll get your order out as quickly as possible." She said, going to grab the cookie I wanted.

Billie grabbed her wallet and card and slid her card into the card reader next to the ipad. After it was accepted she gave a generous tip, turned the ipad back around, and put her card back in her wallet.

The girl returned quickly after warming up my cookie and handed it to me. She asked if Billie wanted a receipt and she said no. We both stood near the end of the counter for a few minutes, waiting for our teas. The other customer in the back had yet to put their phone down, it was now propped up against a water bottle, the back camera facing us.

"Here you go, so sorry for the wait." The girl who had went to make our teas said as she returned with them in hand.

"It's no problem at all, thank you." Billie smiled and took the drinks, handing me mine gently.

The baristas began to say their goodbye's to Billie, so I took the time to go over to the back counter and add some sweetner to my tea, but not too much. Soon enough, Billie left the baristas and came to the counter I was at, swiping up a few napkins. I hurried to the door and held it open for her, glancing back to the customer and looking away again when I saw they were still recording. Billie got situated and thanked me for opening the door, heading towards the car.