friends, maybe

"WHAT are you doing here, alone, with a girl?!"

both harry and i jumped at the voice, turning to see a redheaded boy. he was most definitely ronald weasley, the youngest weasley brother, and also an ed-sheeran lookalike. i'd thought that perhaps since harry's parents were alive and the circumstances were different, that maybe harry and ron weren't friends- but i guess their fates were just aligned to be friends in any universe. i could hear the former groan in embarrassment.

"what do you mean, "what am i doing here, alone, with a girl"?! i was just trying to help her find her book since she couldn't find it!" harry exclaimed, waving his arms in the air with an incredulous look on his face. i noticed his face was tinted tinted a slight pink. "stop making it bloody weird!"

"well it's not my fault your parents are looking for you since you left our group to go off with a pretty girl!" ron argued back, both boys seeming to ignore my presence completely as they went off at each other in whisper-shouts. other customers glanced over at the small scene they were making, recognizing harry. i could feel my face heating up with embarrassment and discomfort.

"what are you both doing?" a girl's voice hissed making me look up. footsteps pounded up to our group. "how much ruder can you get? causing a scene in a bookstore of all places! you're lucky mrs. weasley hadn't found you or else she would've..." bushy brown curls filled my vision as hermione granger began to scold the two fighting boys, fiercely disciplining them as if they were her own children. the boys sheepishly apologized to hermione as she began to shake her finger in their faces. 

"apologize to that poor girl too! what were you even doing, embarrasing her like that?" i looked up with wide eyes and began to shake my head and my hands. just as i was about to tell her they didn't have to apologize, they beat me to it and let out a defeated apology.

"it's really all good, you really didn't need to apologize." i said, grimacing. ron's eyes grew wide.

"an american?!" he cried out, more bewildered than harry was when he'd heard my accent. hermione looked surprised for a moment, but then went back to scolding ron and apologizing to the other customers for the boy's loud outburst. ron's volume lowered, but his intensity was all the same. "no way you were talking to an american girl! this is betrayal of our country! betrayal i tell you!"

"ron, how rude!" the girl whisper shouted, accusing him with her eyes. ron rolled his eyes at her, huffing at a bookshelf like a toddler. "apologize to her right now!"

ron apologized half-heartedly, sending me glares while he did. i just gave him a tight smile in return and a 'it's fine' for hermione's sake.

"i'm really sorry about him," the girl said, looking concerned. "he's got some random prejudice against americans for some reason, and he also cannot control his impulses." she huffed in ed sheeran's direction. "i, for one, think her accent is very nice."

"thanks, so i think i'm gonna-" 

"but she's an american?!" from none other than ronald mcdonald, who did, unfortunately, start another argument. i began to get annoyed with this guy. i mean, it's one thing to have a rivalry between the uk and america as a joke, but a serious dislike is just annoying. like, get over it, we won the war, it's been centuries.

"excuse me, but i think i'm going to buy my books now and be on my way, if you don't mind."  i said, cutting off their argument successfully, and bringing their attention toward me. they all blinked, as if they'd forgotten i was there entirely.

"ah, yes, no problem." hermione was the first to compose herself, nodding along with her words. 

"er, do you need help with carrying your books to the checkout?" harry asked, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.