huffity puffity

"HUFFLEPUFF!" it shouted, and not in my head this time.

the hufflepuff table clapped and cheered the loudest, while the other tables clapped politely. skimming my eyes over the gryfindor table (and ignoring the disappointed looks of the twins), i focused my gaze at the hufflepuff table as i stood from the chair, beginning my worry of where to sit. thankfully, a pretty girl with dark brown curls and cocoa skin waved at me, gesturing for me to come over. i smiled at her and headed toward where she was sitting.

"hello!" she chirped, her big brown eyes warm and inviting. the girl's brown curls were pushed back with a scarf, save for two front pieces that framed her round face, and her big pink lips shone as the candles flickered along with the shiny prefect badge on her robe. her energy seemed to radiate off of her in waves. "i'm kiana, kiana larson. it's really nice to meet you. these are my friends, harper, charles, and diana. we're all sixth years." kiana pointed to each one of her friends as she introduced them to me. 

harper was an elegant asian girl, with harshly cut and expertly styled shoulder-length black hair, chocolate eyes, and numerous piercings clipped onto her ears with one on her nose. her features were sharp and defined and she kept a perfect slight smile on her face, as if she was always ready for a picture. her thick eyeliner and smoky eyeshadow added to her model-like look.

charles was a thin, tall, and lanky boy with pasty white skin that was littered with freckles. his hair was cropped where his ears ended, the light brown strands slightly curling outward at the end and more in at the top. his gray-green eyes added to his light appearance, making him seem pure and innocent. it was quite the look paired with the yellow and black tie on his neck.

diana was a cute girl, her dyed brown strands pulled back to make a topsy tail against her head, held together with a light yellow ribbon. it sort of matched the bold colors of her yellow and black tie, bringing a nice contrast. her lipglossed lips puckered in a slight pout and her hazel eyes shone in the light. her brown fringe bangs complemented her facial structure and her nails were painted in various pastel colors.

god, why were they all so attractive? it didn't seem fair to me. "i'm y/n. y/n l/n." i said over applause as another first-year got put into another house. "i'm also a sixth year." 

"are you from the l/n family? the super pureblood american one?" harrper asked, her intense stare slightly intimidating. i nodded slowly, an awkward smile forming on my face. the table next to us burst into cheers once more as the four stared at me in shock or some sort of awe.

"i know where i've seen you before! you were in the paper!" diana exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger at me. "you skipped a year in ilvermorny when you were younger! so that means you're a full year younger than us!" i nervously chuckled as i nodded along with her statement. i had seen the newspaper clippings hung with pride from my parents in the living room, framed and enlarged as much as possible. the picture of a younger me doing a spell moved in black and white, seeming to have it's own thoughts as it spoke with no sound.

the table burst into cheers once more, kiana joining and adding to the noise. i flinched slightly at the abrupt sound. when it was over, kiana plopped down on her seat once more, sighing heavily. "lots of work to be a prefect, y'know? you have to do this and that, and everything for everyone."

charles chuckled, his voice deeper than i had expected. "i told you not to try that hard in fourth year, but hey, you didn't listen." diana burst into giggles, the sound muffled as the crowd of red and gold stood from behind her in boisterous cheers. 

"do you remember when kiana was trying to impress snape and accidentally blew up her potion in third year?" kiana groaned and hid her face as her friends joined in with diana by recalling their embarrassing stories of each other. i laughed a bit as well, but felt out of place as the group recalled their past memories.

it went on like this for the whole sorting process, every now and then wincing as kiana burst up and cheered again and absorbing the stories they told quietly. when the last person was sorted (which was a girl named kayla zhou who got sorted into slytherin) the group hushed along with the entire great hall as dumbledore headed up to the podium.

"welcome - or welcome back - to hogwarts. it's great to see many familiar faces, and to meet new ones," his eyes met mine for a split second and he winked at me. "before i kick off the feast, i just have two words to say. and here they are: squiggle. pliffersliff. now, let the feast begin!" with his last words the once silent hall burst into life, students chattering and poofs sounding as food appeared on the table before them.

i gaped as my favorite food appeared before me, quite stunned. the rest of the group nonchalantly scooped the food onto their plates and began to eat, all the while talking. i followed their lead after getting over my initial shock.

"... and then harry caught the snitch! isn't he so amazing? and beautiful? and magestic?" diana swooned, clenching a fist around her fork as she looked up dreamily. her friends laughed at her actions, and she immediately snapped her head toward my direction. "you must know harry! harry potter. he's hot, isn't he? i've only really seen him from afar, but his messy hair and his scar is just so..." she squealed, cutting herself off. a large smile covered her face.

"harry potter is not as hot as cho chang," harper argued, pointing her fork at the love-struck girl. "have you seen the girl? definition of hot. and pretty. and beautiful. and... what was it you said? majestic?" 

"keep in mind, there's also kiana's friend, the diggory boy. he's hot and he knows how to take advantage of that." charles butt in, scooping a large bite of turkey into his mouth. he said this quieter though, as the mentioned boy was just a bit down the table.

"you're so right, i don't know why kiana hasn't got herself involved in that!" diana exclaimed lifting her hands up briefly in exasperation. "oh, wait, i know why, it's 'cause of her crush on hermione granger, innit?" she said sneakily, shoving mashed potatoes into her mouth. kiana's skin had the slightest hue of red peeking through the cocoa of her skin.

"how about you, y/n? anybody catch your eye yet? even though you probably don't know a lot of people..." kiana changed the subject while also bringing me into the conversation. they all turned to me, making me feel kind of nervous.

"uhm, not many people. i do agree with all of you though, they all are pretty hot." i said truthfully. i laughed along with everyone half-heartedly as they burst into giggles.

"i know right, like..." i tuned out diana's chatter a bit, focusing on my food and the buzz of voices in the hall. i hadn't got much sleep from the night before - jetlag - and i certainly didn't get any on the train ride, so i was still a bit tired. i zoned out, my hand moving to feed me as if i were on autopilot.

"y/n!" someone called, and i snapped my head up, worried it would be one of the people i was talking to trying to get my attention.

instead, hairy potty stared back at me from behind diana, a smile on his face.

"merlin's beard," diana whispered, neck craning as she stared at harry.

merlin's beard indeed.

ok not as bad ending. i want to make it clear that when i wrote this i was intent on having reader be part of this friend group and i tried to make it a bit different later on/next chap. don't get too attached to them!

as always, hope you guys liked this chapter, and i love you all so so so much!! mwah!