the crusty-musty, sort-of-smart sorting hat

MY mp3 was long forgotten for the rest of the train ride to hogwarts.

the compartment was filled with boisterous laughter as i found myself unwinding and getting comfortable with the three boys. the twins mainly led the conversation, telling long sagas and adventures that were either confirmed to be true or called out as a lie by lee. 

when the trolley came around, i bought treats for everyone to share, making sure to pick extra chocolate frogs for my own enjoyment. 

in gratitude, lee had told me how to differentiate the troublemaking twins, like how fred starts things and george finishes, and how fred's hair swooped out and down and george's fell straight on his face. 

i noticed some other things too, like how fred had a less defined and rounder face than his duplicate's sharp defined features. i still got confused with the two though, getting teased each time i got their names wrong. 

soon, the train had almost reached its final destination. a ravenclaw prefect had peeked into our compartment to let us know it was time to change. after thanking her, i scrambled to get my robes out from my trunk while the other three boys just nonchalantly took their time getting their uniforms. 

i slipped my robe on over the clothes i was wearing - a white blouse, buttoned up and missing a tie, a brown and white plaid miniskirt with warm skin color tights on under. quickly closing my trunk and settling it under my seat, i sat and watched out the window eagerly.

"it's really not anything special," lee said, slipping on his robe. the griffindor patch stitched on top of the upper left side of the robe flashed my eyes.

"it's hell, s'mores," fred said, beginning to tie his red and gold tie under the collar of his shirt.

"and we've had to endure six bloody years of it already." george complained, pulling a gray vest over his collared shirt and tie.

"only two more left," lee sighed, slumping back in his chair with his robes all on. this news surprised me.

"there's eight years of hogwarts?" i asked, watching as the twins snickered while tightening each other's ties.

"unfortunately," lee confirmed, nodding solemnly. fred, who was closest to lee, swung his arm around his friends' shoulders as his twin did the same to him. they hung their heads together, like bereaved people. i laughed at their antics.

the train began to slow, letting out two long whistles. into the view of the window came a mighty gray castle, its windows glowing with light that contrasted the dark colors of the night sky. it took my breath away, to be seeing the famed hogwarts castle in real life.

"wow," i breathed out, almost too dazed by the view to hear the chuckles of the boys across from me. "this is crazy." the train came to a complete stop, showing the almost complete view of the castle. compartment doors began to open and students came streaming out towards the exit doors. we all stood, not bothering to take our luggage, per their instructions.

"ladies first," said fred, gesturing to the now open compartment door. i thanked him and stepped out into the crowded aisle. the number of students pushing lightly into the flow and bumping against me was kind of overwhelming, so i found my eyes searching for anyone i might know in the crowd. 

i locked eyes with a familiar pair of green ones, recognizing them as harry potter's. his eyes widened in recognition, and his mouth opened slightly. he was pulled along with the stream of students though, out the door. a pair of hands planted themselves on each of my shoulders.

i turned to see the grinning faces of the weasley twins. they gently pushed me toward the exit, saying something in turn that i was unable to hear due to the roar of combined voices. i got what they were telling me though, and i headed toward the exit slowly but surely with their warm hands on either shoulder.