goodbyes to s'mores

IT had finally come.

the day that i'd been waiting for before i'd even been transported to this world. the day i'd been waiting for ever since i first read the harry potter series. i stood between platforms nine and ten in the king's cross station, my parents standing behind me and fussing with my belongings. people wizzed around me with their luggage carts, some which i recognized as wizards and witches, others simply muggles trying to catch their train.

the brick pillar i had only seen in the movies or in my dreams stood tall before me, swallowing witches and wizards so they could get to the only train that would take you to hogwarts. nerves and excitement washed over me in waves, taking turns or sometimes crashing into each other to make a single big wave. i tapped my foot nervously.

"dear, are you ready?" i turned to meet the smoky eyes of my mother. she'd always been beautiful, from the first day i'd met her, but now she seemed a different kind a beautiful i'd been used to. now it was a commanding and strong beauty that she radiated. she looked at me with concerned eyes. "i know it'll be a big change, and the people will be different. but i know you can do it. you're beautiful and kind and smart, nobody would dare to mess with you. and if they do you can just show them what you're capable of." she sent me a wink.

"yes, if anyone messes with my daughter they'd have to go through me," my dad said, in all his adorable, made-up confidence. he puffed up his chest and lifted both his arms to flex, which made me laugh, and my mom roll her eyes with a smile. "but... you can take care of yourself. you know it. we know it. and we're so proud of you." my eyes started to water, and his got glossy.

i blinked, and a tear fell. i wiped it away quickly, embarrassed to be crying in such a public space. we weren't even at the platform yet. "thank you," was all i could say before i stepped into my dad's torso to give him a hug.

his surprisingly strong arms wrapped around me, feeling warm and safe, like home. my mom wrapped her arms around both of us the best she could, the double pressure around my body comforting me.

i stepped back, pretending to check the luggage cart. my dad sniffed and wiped his teary face. my mom just stepped back, a sad smile on her face. she let out a huff-laugh at the both of us. "why, it's not like we'll never see each other again. stop crying, we'll see each other at christmas." she said it with assertion and confidence, but her voice cracked a little halfway through.

i laughed a little too, wiping my few tears. "i guess we should get to the platform now." i said, slightly embarrassed for that little showcase of pda.

"i suppose we should," my mom said, walking to the back of the luggage cart and pushing it over to me. "let's go."

as i faced the brick pillar with the cool handle of the luggage cart clutched in my hands, i began  speedwalking towards it. pushing myself through before i could stop out of fear of crashing, the brick wall swallowed me up. 

i stepped out on platform nine-and-three-quarters. the many voices and conversations nearly overwhelmed me as wizards and witches alike began to crowd together as the train's whistle blew and it came into the station. my parents stepped out of the wall behind me and put their hands on my shoulders. lightly pushing, they led me toward the train, which was beginning to board its passengers.

"i guess this is where i'll be going now." i said, turning to the people i grew accustomed to call my parents over this one summer. "thank you so much. i'll see you over winter break." i heaved off my large luggage bag from the cart and pushed out its wheels so i could easily roll it over to the train. i waved at them from a three-yard distance so as to not repeat what had happened earlier. my dad began to get tears in his eyes once more.