the fake and the real

HARRY offered me a wave, beaming as i made eye contact with him.

the group then turned to look at me, shocked, as i waved back awkwardly. harry leaned forward so his face was peeking just over diana's head. i could tell she bit back a squeal when she turned back around only to meet harry potter's face right behind her.

"i didn't see you on the train! well, at least not until that last moment, but still," he said, tapping his wand against his thigh. why did he have his wand out? i could see a redhead and brunette sitting just to his left and even could see the weasley twins behind them.

"oh, yeah, i got there kind of late and i found a compartment with fred, george, and lee. sorry." was all i could think to say. my brain fuzzed as the rest of the group gaped at us as we talked. he smiled, but i could tell he was surprised at the knowledge.

"you pretty much know all my friends now," he laughed, green eyes shining in the candlelight. "well, i suppose you still don't know the names of hermione and ron," they each took a glance at harry and then looked to us after hearing their names. ron looked through all the people in the group before glaring at me, whilst hermione sent us a warm smile and a wave. kiana fidgeted from next to me. "but you've met them."

"yeah, haha, it's nice to see you again," i said, trying to disguise my cringe as a smile. this interaction was incredibly awkward - or at least to me it was. i semi-glanced at everyone else for their reactions, but they were still watching us converse, shock clearly displayed on their face.

"-so what do you think?" harry brought back my attention with a dazzling smile. i didn't even know what he said, but i smiled back.

"...sure..?" i responded, shrugging at him. he beamed at my response, causing me to relax a bit.

"brilliant! we'll meet you at honeydukes, alright?" harry waited eagerly for my response, acting sort of like a puppy waiting for his owner to give him a treat. i smiled at this, a real, genuine smile, even though i was confused.

"okay. see you," i bit the inside of my cheek, biting back a laugh as harry seemed to sit up a little taller after i reassured him. confidently, he turned back to his table, grinning proudly - prompting questions from his friends around him. i turned back around to my own friends, unprepared for the ambush i was about to face.

"how do you know harry potter?" diana accused, causing my smile to fall immediately. it was a little intense, her pushing to prompt a response and the rest of the group staring at me.

"um, i-" i started, flustered at how to explain and where to start. 

"i get it, your family is famous," diana interrupted. i frowned, especially since she didn't apologize nor did the others say anything. kiana gave me a sympathetic look, but it did little to soothe my building annoyance with her friend. "but i didn't think your families would actually know each other. you know, with the whole atlantic literally between them."

"well, she did cross that whole atlantic to be here right now," charles pointed out, literally pointing at me with his fork. my mind raced to piece together how i knew harry.

"i actually-" i was cut off yet again, but by harper this time. i wasn't sure how much of this i could take anymore.

"harry said you knew, quote and quote," she made quote signs with her fingers. " 'all his friends.' i mean, i get harry, cause - like di said- you're both famous and all that, but how do you know 'all his friends'?" harper stared at me accusingly. i stared back with an incredulous look.

"i met him at the bookstore in diagon ally, and a few other people on the way here. does that really matter that much?" i tried to keep my voice light, but im pretty sure at least some people noticed my irritation.