¿rea?reality¿lity?

cw before we start:
gore, dead person (not real), mention of bile, nightmares, imposter syndrome, mention of sewercide- all of these things r written like shit so its not too bad 😭😭

read with caution!!!

"MAYBE the astronomy tower will have a better view of the stars."

i frowned at the cloudy sky above me, then looked at my aunt. i wasn't quite sure how that would work, but i supposed it made sense. afterall, she wouldn't have been a successful entrepreneur if she wasn't smart.

i walked down the cold hallways, bright lights shining through the stained glass windows, creating an array of colors on the floor. i traced them with the tip of my shoes, smiling as the black leather gained a sliver of color each time.

"everyone's probably asleep." i thought out loud- a strange occurrence for myself - as i walked down the empty hallway. "i should head back to bed."

a harsh wind blew into the windows, causing them to fall from their high position on the walls and shatter on the ground.

i screamed, jumping as colored shards rose around me like waves of glass. my heart beat heavy in my chest, and i rushed to the staircase right in front of me.

the astronomy tower. all i needed was to get to the astronomy tower, and everything would be alright.

"sweetheart, you shouldn't be out so late." i paused at the sound of my dad, one hand gripping the rails of the twisting stairs. i spun around, prepared to see my smiling, carefree father.

i gasped, stumbling back on the stairs and landing on my butt as i saw him. yes, he was my father, only not so smiling, and not so... alive. his head was bashed in, one side of his face stained with his own blood. i thought i saw his skull.

i choked back bile and tears as i scrambled to my feet, the wooden steps below me now imprinted with black ink handprints. i grimaced at my ink covered hands.

"come back," the thing cooed, blood starting to pour from the inside of his eye. his nose started to bleed. "come back." he repeated.

i started up the stairs in a hurry, tears falling from my eyes but not blurring my vision whatsoever. the astronomy tower. just to the astronomy tower.

i started to hope i didn't see anyone else as i climbed the almost never ending staircase, not even a bit out of breath or dizzy as i bounded up the twisting stairs.

i let out a sigh of relief as i saw the big telescope, globe, the stars shining lights through the multitude of windows. finally. i was safe.

with shaky knees, i trudged over to the telescope. i looked down at my shoes, frowning as i found an envelope addressed to me stuck to the sticky ink on my shoe.

gently, i peeled off the impossibly clean envelope, feeling a sense of dread wash over me. i looked around at the empty tower filled with nothing but endless astronomy equipment, and opened the envelope.

you don't belong here.
go back.
go back.
go back.

i sucked in a sharp breath as i read it, crumpling it up and tossing it on the ground. i couldn't accept that. i just couldn't. this life was so much better, so much kinder to me, i couldn't.

i wanted to stay here.

i needed to stay here.

people wanted me here. they needed me here. and i wouldn't go back. never.