V

"Winning isn't about finishing in first place. It isn't about beating the others. It is about overcoming yourself. Overcoming your body, your limitations, and your fears. Winning means surpassing yourself and turning your dreams into reality." Kilian Jornet, Córrer o Morir

---- 

V.

"What have you done to your hair this morning, Perrie?" Cecily asked her eldest granddaughter as she descended the stairs.

Perrie often thought that the only benefit for getting married was being allowed to eat one's breakfast in their nightgown while still in bed.

"I'm not out yet, Grandmamma," Perrie replied as she brushed one of her long curly tendrils off of her shoulder. "I don't have to give myself a hairpin headache every day."

Cecily tsked. "Darling, I have so much to teach you before you debut. Don't you know that a hairpin headache is the pièce de résistance of feminine complaints. If one finds themselves in an extraordinarily dull conversation, or about to be beset upon by a gentleman who resembles a toad, alas! A headache appears. A swoon and a flutter of the fan and you are away and safe. You must practise these things."

Perrie rolled her eyes, though she was thoroughly amused by her grandmother's theatrics.

"What are you teaching my daughter, Mother?" scolded Adam as he and his horrid protégé exited the dining room shortly after Perrie and joined both she and Cecily in the entry foyer before they went up to Adam's study.

"The art of deception through hairdressing I believe, Your Grace," Joe replied with a smirk on his face.

"Grace has never feigned a hairpin headache around me," Adam continued, shaking his head.

"That you know of," Cecily countered with a chuckle, resulting in an alarmed expression crossing Adam's face. "Dear, thankfully I birthed three children without any resemblance to amphibious creatures. Our dear Perrie might not be so lucky come April."

"Would you please stop reminding me of the bloody Season," complained Adam as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "The last thing I want to be imagining at this moment is Perrie dancing with anyone, toads or otherwise. She was this high, Mr Parish," Adam held his hand to his thigh, "and then I blinked."

"And now she's this high," replied Joe, holding his hand to just above Adam's hip.

Perrie's eyes flared at how easily Joe could verbally jab her, and she acted first, as she always did. As her father laughed at Joe's comment, Perrie lunged, arms out extended for Joe's neck.

Adam was quicker, however, and he caught Perrie around her waist, and swung her back away from Joe, still laughing as he set her on the floor steadily. "Settle down," he told her. "We've had a calm breakfast and we will continue being calm today."

"Did you hear what he said, Papa?" Perrie snapped.

"Sadly, Mr Parish is right, dear," Cecily said regretfully. "You inherited your poor mama's stature. If I have it my way, you will have my tongue, however."

With her father and grandmother's eyes on her, Perrie could see that Joe was plainly smirking at her. "Scold him, Papa!" Perrie demanded. "If you don't, I shall marry when I am eighteen and leave you," she threatened.

Adam rolled his eyes, though he was still clearly amused. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of Perrie's forehead. "You cannot marry without my consent when you are not of age." He then shook, a shiver running through him and into Perrie. "Enough of this topic. The very idea of you marrying is enough to turn my stomach."