XVIII

"For a second I was almost jealous of the clouds. Why was he looking to them for an escape when I was right here beside him?" Kamila Shamsie, Kartography

---- 

XVIII.

"We've been speaking for five minutes, Joe," Perrie retorted indignantly, before she quickly amended the informality of his name and uttered, "Mr Parish."

Joe's immediate response inside of his head was quite bitter. Now she knew it was him. He did not quite understand why it had angered him so that Perrie had not recognised him in the foyer of Ashwood House. He had not intended on testing her. He had simply been standing beside his brother, and upon seeing Perrie appraise them both, Joe suddenly had a strong desire for Perrie to see him.

Was that what he had wanted? Perrie, of all people? Joe then supposed he would not have minded who it was. The only person who had ever been able to tell the difference between Joe and Ed was their father. Someone else had to see that it was Joe when they looked at him. Joe wanted ... Joe had wanted Perrie to know it was him.

But she hadn't. She had looked at Ed, and she had confidently proclaimed that his twin was him, and Joe had felt that like a wound to his stomach.

Perrie was not a twin. But Joe had a strong feeling that if she were, he would know Perrie anywhere.

The same, clearly, could not be said for her.

Joe was extraordinarily put out because of it, and the very fact that she was conversing merrily with his brother did not help matters. Ed was kind and charming naturally, and Joe was now being forced to watch as he used his charisma to woo Perrie.

Joe understood that Ed was following their father's orders. Both brothers knew why Ed needed to make a good marriage. But the way he was smiling at Perrie unsettled Joe quite intensely. Perhaps this would not be hard on Ed at all if he really liked Perrie.

And what if Perrie liked Ed in return?

Joe stared down into Perrie's eyes, once again certain that he would know her blue irises anywhere. Her eyes were narrowed, and she was frowning deeply. She did not have any of her smiles for him as she did for Ed. Joe wanted to admonish her. He wanted to let Perrie know how affected he was that she had not recognised him beside his brother. But he did not have the words. How could he describe this frustration without sounding like a petulant child? He barely understood it himself.

Joe pulled out his pocket watch and checked the time, and he was very careful not to flip the clock face over to reveal what was behind it. "It's been at least seven minutes," he snapped. "Did they not teach you how to tell the time while you balanced books upon your head? Could not one of those titles have been 'The Lost Art of Punctuality'?"

Perrie sucked in a sharp breath as she squared her shoulders. "You are certainly lucky we are near a church, Mr Parish," she growled. Her brows furrowed into a deep scowl. "And not near a pond," she added under her breath.

Ed laughed heartily as he clapped Joe on the back. Joe caught his brother's eye, and he could see that Ed was truly amused. "Come now, enough of that," he encouraged. "I am certainly glad to see where you went to school, Joe. Let us find some harmony so that we may enjoy the rest of the morning. Ladies, please." Ed motioned for Perrie and Lily to go first, and Perrie collected her sister's arm and stalked off towards the church. Ed kept Joe behind momentarily to mutter, "Are you alright?" Ed's eyes searched Joe's face. "Did Father say something before we left?"

Joe shook his head dismissively. "Father's hasn't spoken a word to me. You know that," he replied under his breath.

"Then what is the meaning of this?" Ed pressed.