VI

"Resistance is a sign that shows you're going the right way." Constance Friday

----

VI.

Charlie Beresford had arrived home later that afternoon, and the return of the Dukedom's heir was celebrated just as well as the return of the two eldest daughters had been the day before.

Charlie entertained them all with school stories, and Perrie observed that Joe seemed quite curious to listen to these. Of course, his curiosity did not last long before he quietly likened her to the little string bean on his plate. He seemed very amused with himself.

So, when Joe was not looking, Perrie covered his meal with salt. That would teach Mama to seat her beside Joe Parish at dinner ever. The gagging noise Joe had made when he'd eaten his next mouthful was delightful.

What was not delightful was the mouthful of pepper that came from her wine goblet a few minutes later.

Perrie could not count all the times that she had marched down to her Uncle Jem's house in her youth to complain about Joe. Of course, she would complain to her parents as well, but her uncle always seemed to have the more creative solutions.

Since being away at school, it had been a little while since she had visited her uncle, and she supposed it would be rude to break their tradition. She did have plenty to complain about.

When her Uncle Jem and Aunt Cressie's cottage came into view, Perrie could see the work that Papa had ordered done to add additional rooms for their growing family. It was indeed a very comfortable house, and very fitting for the Land Steward of Ashwood.

She could hear the children before she saw them. Perrie smiled when the garden beside the house appeared, contained by a low stone retaining wall. Her three young cousins were running about the lawn, chasing each other, watched over by her aunt.

Perrie could recall her uncle's absence several years ago, and the worry that had spread through her family surrounding Jem and his once lost love, Cressie. She had not understood it fully. But how could she have done properly at age ten or eleven? Even younger still when her uncle had first lost his heart?

Perrie did not think she even understood it now. She didn't know what it was to be so in love with somebody that one would do anything for them. Perrie wondered if she even had the ability to love someone that much. But whatever happened, Uncle Jem and Aunt Cressie's first son was born some months after their wedding.

Sam was their eldest at seven years old. Next had come David, who was now five. Their youngest, for the time being, was three-year-old Oliver, and her Aunt was currently expecting their fourth child this winter. Cecily was predicting another boy owing to whatever silly superstition she was currently keeping. Perrie hoped for a girl.

There were currently eighteen Beresford-Denham-Whitfield-Ellis grandchildren. Nine girls and nine boys. Perrie was determined to outnumber her male cousins.

What Perrie did love about her family especially, however, was that there were a few facets of them who were really unrelated. Perrie's grandmother, Mrs Denham was not grandmother to Aunt Susanna and Uncle Alex's children. Grandmamma Cecily was not grandmother to Uncle Jem and Aunt Cressie's children. By blood. But it did not matter to any of them. They were all family regardless.

"Perrie!" cheered Sam. He was the first to notice his cousin approaching. As soon as he alerted his brothers, all three Denham boys came running out of the garden gate and towards Perrie.

Perrie knelt down on the grassy path and extended her arms, and she received their little bodies tightly. However, the speed in which they launched into her toppled her over backwards, and Perrie laughed as she ruffled through the dark mops on each of their heads.