31

Detective Paul Brendan pulled into the meeting site. He was still feeling the guilt eating him inside. But he had to do this. It was his life. And he'd rather not die so soon. So, here he was. After he took a sip of his flask, he got out, and headed to the door.

After being let in, Paul walked inside. "How was she?" The homeowner asked the officer. "She is fine. Scabs from the cuts, though she was also worried about the fact her attackers are still missing." Paul answered.

The person in front of him nodded and then looked at him.

"And Simon? Is he getting closer to her?" The person asked. "He still looks at her like he's in a dream. But she is oblivious to it. She's to innocent to that." Paul told the person. He refused the drink offer. 

Having already took a sip of his flask, Paul didn't want to push it, and he didn't trust the person fully to accept the drink. Paul watched the person in front of him. "So, my thoughts were correct. He likes her." The person said, upset. 

Paul shrugged. "I think so. But it seems like he's angry at himself about it." Paul told the person as he walked around but keeping the homeowner in his sights. Not wanting them out of his sight at any time.

The person nodded at the detective's words. 

"She trusts us both. More so Simon, but I'm sure I can make her trust me just as much. I can do this." He told the person. "Be sure you do. She trusts me, but if she finds out things, she needs someone else to trust so she can be brought to me." They said, also watching the Detective.

Paul sadly nodded. The person took note of this mentally.

"I'll do it. Just keep your part of the deal." Paul told the homeowner, who just nodded. "I always keep my promises." They told him. Paul nodded and walked back to the front door. "I should get going. I need to figure out how to close the assault case." He told them. 

"Everything will work out Detective." The homeowner said before shutting the door behind Paul.  Paul went into the car and drove to his hotel for the night where he drank his guilt away for the night.

"Fucking hell." He grumbled.