Chapter 4

"April!" My mom screamed as she ran into the kitchen after smelling the odd burning scent drifting around the house. "What have you done? Oh my God!" Her hands went straight to her mouth while her eyes widened in horror.

Tears continued to spill from my eyes and onto my cheeks as pain spread throughout my arms. The insides of my hands were burned, flesh tearing and sizzling from the fire on the stove.

She shut the stove off and grabbed my wrists.

My throat tightened, "I didn't—"

"Why would you do something like this, April?" She pulled me toward the sink where cold water streamed down. "Have you lost your mind?"

The burning sensation spread. A few more sobs escaped my throat as she forced my palms forward and underneath the running water. It wasn't cold or warm, just mild. I turned my head around, staring at the door in the kitchen that led into the backyard.

My brother stood there in a distance, grinning at what he had done while tears dripped from my eyes, wondering about the hatred he held for me and for how long he was going to burn me for.

My eyes snapped open at the sound of the tires going above the rock and the car trembling at the impact. Just as I was about to sit up straight from my position, I heard a sound. A male's sound.

"I'm fucking starving." he groaned, his voice manly and rough.

"We've to report back before going anywhere. It's just going to be a few minutes and then the night is over." Another male.

My eyes widened a little. I tried not to move, but my head turned to glance outside the window where I found the car moving at a quick speed, racing through the empty roads. There was only clear land on either side. Nothing else. I wasn't in Frostshire or near the pack house anymore.

The sun was rising, slowly. The skies were still dark but the haunting night was over. I could see the hues in the sky changing, going from pitch black to several shades of orange and blue.

The men in the front switched on the radio and blasted it. With the loud music playing in the background, I finally managed to shift around in the trunk and look ahead. My fingers tightened around the rod beneath as the man drove violently, rocking the car to the point where I wondered why I hadn't woken up early.

I recalled moving to the trunk and falling asleep while my brother continued to find me with the help of his friend. When my eyes shut, it was a little after midnight but with the sun rising, I understood several hours had passed by.

But who were these men?

I hadn't seen them before. I tried to catch a glimpse of them, but it was hard. I looked outside and figured out I wasn't anywhere near Frostshire or the pack house. Even the trees here were different.

Suddenly, the car came to a complete halt and my head struck the passenger seats, nearly giving me a concussion. I placed my hand against my head and suppressed a groan.

"Fuck man. Don't do that shit again." The man who was seated next to the driver said, snapping at him.

The driver chuckled, "Stop being a pussy."

The engine died moments later and the men left the car. I buried my head into the trunk, waiting for them to walk away before I slowly rose up and glance around my surroundings. It was still a little dark to see anything but near to the car, I found a couple more cars parked straight in line and a house behind the parking.

Where was I?

I wondered while getting out of the trunk and into the back passenger seats. My hand wrapped around the handle. I looked again, ensuring no one was around before I stepped out of the vehicle and stretched my limbs.

I didn't have a phone with me or anything else. My clothes were soaked in Todd and Evan's blood and my hair was tangled. There was dirt and mud glued onto my pants and boots as I walked behind the other cars that were parked.

Bones cracked. I crouched behind the car and hid upon hearing the sounds of werewolves. The air thickened as I smelled them. They didn't belong to the pack I came from.

Only then I realized I was in the rival's pack territory—the pack that had attacked and killed thousands in Frostshire.

My palms scraped against the cement ground as I slipped back, keeping myself hidden as the werewolves began shifting and going into the house. The men were all large, tall, and covered in muscles. I tried not to look but it was hard as they were all bare and dressing up. There was not one female among them which meant only one thing.

We were attacked by the Silvertails Pack.

"I can't wait to get in bed after killing all those people," One man said with humor in his tone. "And after listening to all their sweet, sweet screams."

"You're dark." Another one said.

"Does it look like I care?"

It was a few long moments later before they finally left the parking and went away. When all their sounds had gone, I rose up and looked ahead, finding most of them heading inside the house where the first two men I had seen going into.

They were reporting back to their Alpha.

This was a planned attack on Frostshire by the Silvertails Pack who was well-known to steal land and murder werewolves all for gaining strength and fear among the other werewolf packs.

I had numerous stories about the Silvertails and they were all vile. It was also known the pack had hidden away their female werewolves—or killed all of them. I wasn't sure.

I had to get out of here.

Rising up from the ground, I brushed the dirt off my hands and rushed away from the cars. My throat closed. I would be killed here in moments if caught.

Just as I got into a clearing near the house, bright headlights blinded me. I hissed at the sudden exposure and froze on my steps as the car halted only inches away from driving its bumper through my body and splitting me in half.

Knots tightened in my stomach as I stared ahead into the car and found men seated inside. The man driving pulled his hands away from the wheel while the man seated on the right stepped out of the car and walked in my direction.

Shit.

I swallowed hard and my feet moved back on their own. The quick instinct of running away washed over me but I couldn't run. I stared into the pitch-black eyes that had met mine. His gaze was heavy over me and dangerous.

It took me a moment to notice the scars running down his cheek as he neared me and blocked the headlight behind him with his tall frame.

I trembled in fear, knowing exactly what I had collided with.

The Alpha.

Read up to chapter 25 on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr