fixing what's broken (2)

This wasn't normal. Nothing made sense.

"I can't believe this happened," Crowley says with a groan. "We must bring Mr. Rosehearts back to his senses before his magic runs out. As bad as it should be to lose him, the worst case scenario would be..." You looked at Crowley in terror. He put a hand on your shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

"...Anyhow. The wellbeing of my students is top priority! I'll help the students seek shelter. You two!" He points at Cater and Trey, "Go fetch the other teachers and Housewardens and-" You shake his hand off of your shoulder.

"Mr. Crowley I-"

"SILENCE!"

Riddle throws another rose bush in the middle of your sentence. Just before it hits you and your friends Crowley stands in front of you, blocking the impact. The ground breaks around you from the sheer power of the blot monster's throw.

"The ground split right in half?!" Deuce exclaimed in horror.

"So this is the power of overblot..." You say quietly.

"I'll permit nothing but an answer of "Yes, Housewarden Riddle"! Whoever dares defy me... I SHALL HAVE THEIR HEADS!"

Crowley grits his teeth. He needs to get the students out of the garden. Riddle's rage only grew and the risk of someone getting hurt grew with it. He was not in his right mind. If he had just evacuated the students on time he wouldn't have to deal with such a strong overblot...

"All students retreat to the mirror chambers!" He ordered.

"Let's go guys!" Cater called out to the four of you.

...But naturally, none of you listened.

"RAAAAAAA" The first year duo yells in determination.

"GRNYAAAA" Grim follows them.

"We can't just leave him like this!" You frown, trying to run after them, but someone pulled you back by your wrist harshly.

"Don't be ridiculous, (____)! You don't even have magic- what can you do to help?!" It was Trey. He looked distressed.

"Trey, let me go! I need to be there!" He looked at you with a cofused expression. You didn't know why you needed to be there either. Something was telling you to be there. It's almost as if it was your job.

"Won't he be in big trouble if he keeps this on?" Grim asks after getting thrown back from the impact of Riddle's attacks.

"I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I left. And, besides..." Deuce trails off, letting Ace finish their small joint speech "He still hasn't said "I'm sooooo sorry, I was in the wrong" to me!"

"There you have it" You say, smiling smugly at Trey. Despite this time being within his reach, he still couldn't stop you from throwing yourself into danger. It wasn't even protectiveness or anything sappy like that making him do this. It was anger, frustration, fear. He was ready to leave and go to safety as the headmaster wanted him to, leaving his friend to be alone again.

"You guys..." You put a hand on his shoulder and slightly squeeze it before turning around to run back to your classmates. You can't use magic and you're useless in a fight, but you acted more like a friend in the past 10 minutes than he had for the last 2 years. At that moment he realised his grave flaw.

"Alright. Headmaster Crowley, please evacuate the students out of here." He walked past everyone, ignoring Cater's confused calls.

Trey stood in front of his underclassmen, firmly holding his magic pen. "I can override Riddle's magic for a while. In the meantime..." He looked at Ace, Deuce and Grim. "You guys handle him!" He flashed all of you a smile before everyone rushed into battle.