Chapter 6 - Punishment

Another wonderful masterpiece, if I do say so myself. :D Y'all know the drill. Enjoy and comment. I love hearing what everyone thinks of the story now!

Btw, I apologize if I haven't responded to any questions or comments that need responses. WP is being a butthead and I quit receiving emails Monday afternoon... but now they're all filtering in, completely out of order and confusing the hell out of me. >_<

Ely:

            I rolled out of bed when my alarm started to blare some song by One Direction from across the room. I knew there was a good chance I'd ignore my alarm if it were something easy to tune out. My solution? I put my alarm across the room, and set it up to play songs I don't enjoy. Although I hated getting out of my warm bed, I'd been setting my alarm up like this since I got here five years ago.

            I groaned when I remembered last night. I quickly grabbed a pair of black capris and a black tank top. I'd be punishing myself for missing three of those targets at the tournament. It was our last tournament before we graduated. I didn't bother with a shower. I'd need one when the day was done though.

            I pulled on a pair of ankle socks and my tennis shoes. After strapping on a few knives, I flew out the door, shutting it softly behind me. It was still really early, and I didn't want to wake anyone else.

            I grabbed a bottle of water from my mini fridge and jogged down to the track. I continued jogging as I warmed up. After jogging for two laps, I sped up, increasing my speed a little with each lap.

            I ran for the next two hours. When I finally stopped, I was dripping sweat, even though the air was cool. My legs were shaking so badly that I could barely stay upright. I took a long swig of my water as I moved in place to keep my muscles moving. I didn't want them to lock up on me.

            I took a few deep breaths, and then headed towards the targeting arena. I had work to do. A quick glance at my phone told me that classes were starting soon, but I wasn't planning on heading to class.

            Once in the cool building, I headed straight for James' office. I knew he kept his special knives in here, and he allowed me to use them. I strapped them all to various parts of my body.

            Stepping into the arena, I walked on unsteady legs to the side wall. It was pointless for me to work with stationary targets. I pushed the button to make the targets start moving and moved to the middle of the room. Taking a deep breath, I started flinging knives at anything that moved.

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

Shawn:

            Mrs. Hart stood at the front of the room. She called out everyone's names and checked them off her list as they said they were here. I looked at the empty desk next to me, wondering what had happened to Ely. Over the last five years, I couldn't recall her ever being late to class before.

            I raised my hand and Mrs. Hart glanced at me, "Yes?" She asked. Her glasses slid down her nose slightly as she looked over the top of them.

            "Where's Ely?" I asked. I blushed a little when a girl a few rows back let out a catcall.

            Mrs. Hart glanced at her list, and then back at me, "I assure you I don't know. However, I'll be marking her as absent." She replied as she marked something on her clipboard.

            I couldn't concentrate on history while worried about Ely. Class was only halfway over before I shoved my notebook back into my bag and swiftly stood up. Mrs. Hart gave me a look, complete with a raised brow. Without speaking, I left the room.