Chapter 29 - Doubts

I can only claim pregnancy brain on why I haven't updated... since... Wednesday. -_- Morning sickness struck on Thursday, and I've just been trying to make it through the day ever since.

Anyways, not much changed in this chapter, I don't think.

Ely:

            We made our way across campus and back to the arena our traps test was in. Mrs. Hellen was waiting for us and smiled, "Boys. Elyzabeth. I take it you're prepared for the test?"

            I shook my head and jumped slightly when Jordan put his hand on top of my head and forced me to give a nod. "Yes, Ma'am." He said.

            Dominic chuckled as I sent a glare in Jordan's direction.

            Ms. Hellen gave us each a look, even though Shawn hadn't done anything yet. "Alright, we're actually running short on time today, so here's how this testing is going to work. You'll trail someone and attempt to keep your target from hearing or seeing you. I want you to be able to get close enough to them that you can mark them with this." She held up four different colored markers. "This will signify that you would have been able to take them out with a dart or dagger, but since we actually want to keep our volunteer around, we're just going to put a mark on them." I nodded and saw the guys do the same thing out of the corner of my eye.

            I pushed a lock of my blond hair out of my eyes and attempted to secure it with a bobby pin. "Who's going first?" Ms. Hellen asked.

            Dominic shrugged his broad shoulders. "I'll go. Let's get this over with." He huffed out.

            I giggled and he shot a glare in my direction. I smiled at him innocently and he rolled his eyes as he moved away and stepped through the shrubs at his feet.

            He took his starting position, which was out of sight of the young man that Ms. Hellen had roped into playing the target. The target started off walking sedately, walking loudly and seemingly without a care. A couple times, he even started whistling.

            His bright blue t-shirt and khaki pants stood out amongst the foliage as he continued to walk. Dominic trailed after him diligently, but he never seemed to get any closer to him. I frowned. "It's almost as if he's uncertain of his ability to move closer without the target detecting him." I murmured to myself.

            Ms. Hellen gently patted my shoulder and I nearly flew out of my skin. "Sorry, Sweetie." She murmured gently. "I forgot you aren't a fan of being touched. But you're correct. Dominic doesn't believe he can get any closer to his target without being detected. A few years ago I heard a couple of the students bullying him about his size... which is ridiculous. Most of the boys who were bullying him were worse in this class than he's ever been." She shrugged before continuing, "It's something you'll probably have to work on as a team." She admitted.

            I bit my lip and nodded as I turned back to watch Dominic. Ms. Hellen's voice suddenly appeared on the overhead speaker, "Dominic, time's up." I watched as his shoulders slumped slightly and he made his way back towards us.

            "Ely, you go next." I gave an unenthusiastic nod and moved to the starting position.

            The buzzer went off to signal the start and I watched my target skip into the clearing. Yes, he skipped. I watched him carefully for a few heartbeats before I moved towards him. I moved with him at his pace for the next few steps and when stepped on a loud branch, I took the opportunity to move closer.