Chapter 24 - Conspiracies and Frisbee

Not much to say about this chapter. The only thing I did was fix some typos.

Ely:

I was surprised to have come in second, time wise. It was probably because I didn't have to move as carefully across the tree branches or through the tunnel, but I thought for sure they would have moved faster than I did on the ropes and rock wall.

I mentally shrugged, and giggled when Jordan's stomach growled loudly. "Let's go get food." Shawn suggested. I was a little surprised when he moved to stand next to me. "May I hold your hand, El?" He asked so softly that the others didn't hear.

I nodded hesitantly and he gave me a tiny smile, "You were amazing on the obstacle course." He murmured.

I felt my face heat up and looked at the ground in embarrassment. "Thank you." I murmured.

Shawn:

Maybe Ely wasn't as delicate as she looked. She didn't like scary movies, and I don't think I had ever met such a clumsy person in my life. She seemed quite adept at making up for her size in ways I had never thought of before.

"Ely, how old were you when you were brought here?" I suddenly asked.

She quickly glanced up at me with a puzzled look on her face. The confusion cleared and she seemed to be thinking about how to answer that. She was quiet for so long, I thought she might not answer.

"I was four when I was orphaned and ten when I was adopted." She replied so softly that I almost didn't hear her.

I didn't say anything else, because I didn't want to make her uncomfortable, but Jordan suddenly asked, "What did you do to get on their radar? I've talked to enough people to know that nearly everyone here has some sort of criminal record... Nearly everyone's records were wiped clean when they came here because they had a good reason for doing what they did..." He trailed off and I sent him a glare.

I felt Ely stop and when I looked down at her, her eyes had a slightly haunted look. "I'd rather not talk about it..." She replied.

Her cheeks were red and I smiled. It was cute to see her get flustered, especially when she was such a badass on the field.

I paused to think again, "Jordan?" I asked as we started to head towards the cafeteria again.

"yeah? What's up?" He asked, moving a little closer to me so that we didn't have to talk as loudly.

"The poison we were making earlier... was anything in that explosive?"

He frowned as he thought about it, "No. I had that same thought after it had happened, but I hadn't been allowed to go look at what had happened. Ms. Alice practically shoved everyone out of the room, but she said she'd look into it. I haven't heard back from her and I forgot to let you know about my suspicions. I didn't want to say anything unless I was sure..."

I nodded. I wasn't happy that he had kept this information from me, but I understood his desire to be correct before saying anything. "Next time, please let me know if you see something suspicious."

He nodded, "I apologize. I should have said something. Maybe I'll go have a talk with Ms. Alice later to see if she found anything out."

I shook my head, "Don't bother. She won't tell you anything." I muttered. I had seen the way she watched Jordan, and didn't think much of it at the time. I also watched the way she interacted with Ely.