Chapter 16 - Being Number One

This is longer than my normal chapters, but... *shrugs* For those who are wondering, the beginning of this chapter changed quite a bit. The end... essentially the same as it was the first time around. :)

Enjoy, Comment, etc!

Ely:

The guys waited while I showered, and I heard the shower in the other bathroom turn on, so I assumed Dominic was in need of a shower as well. It took a while to get all the oil washed off, because it was repelling the water instead of washing off, but eventually I got it all off and even out of my hair.

Shawn was sitting on the edge of the couch with his elbows braced on his knees as he watched the news on T.V. He glanced up when he saw me, and I looked around for the others. "Go ahead and sit down. Jordan stepped into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water and Dominic just went back into his room for a second." Just as he finished saying that, both Jordan and Dominic stepped back into the room. Dominic was wearing his signature hat. He was wearing khaki shorts and a black, short sleeve, button up shirt. All the buttons were left undone, showing off the black tank he had on underneath.

Dominic dropped into the chair and Jordan sat down in the corner of the couch. Shawn glanced at both of them before saying, "Jordan, you go first. What exactly is your specialty?"

I moved so that I was sitting on the coffee table, making it easier to see him. "I actually specialize in... alchemy, I guess is the best word for it. Chemistry in general has always been easy for me, so I picked up on everything poison related really easily. Once my instructor realized I had mastered that talent, he moved me on to other types of alchemy. So, poisons is a very narrow aspect of my specialty."

I blinked a few times and put my foot up on the couch. "So... we're gonna be like, bffs, right?" I asked hopefully.

He looked at me suspiciously and asked, "Why?" As he drew out the last syllable.

I bit my lip sheepishly, "I barely passed." I admitted.

He chuckled a little, "So... what you're saying is that we'll be studying tonight and during our break tomorrow so that you pass the test tomorrow?" He asked.

I looked at him hopefully, "Would you mind?" I asked.

He shook his head, "As long as we're supplied with plenty of food, I won't mind helping." He said.

Shawn cleared his throat, "Now, Ely..." I turned my gaze towards him and waited. He stared at me intently and his eyes darkened a little. He seemed... angry, maybe? "Why exactly has Thomas been after you for... Years?"

I nodded and blushed as I looked at my hands where they were clenched together in my lap, "It's because he's been trying to get me taken off the top five list..." I admitted. I was pretty sure that Shawn knew why he had been after me, so I wasn't sure why he was asking. His eyes suddenly narrowed on my face, "Ely, since we've declared ourselves friends, how many times has he done something to try to get you off the list?" I wasn't sure how to respond, and after waiting for a few moments, he finally said, "You'll get off with a warning this time, El. Keep something like this from me again, and you'll wish you hadn't." He raked his fingers through his hair and got up to pace.

I glanced up to find Jordan and Dominic both staring at me with interest, and Shawn suddenly asked, "Are you number one on the list, El?" I debated whether or not to lie to him, because I didn't feel like it was that big of an achievement, but I finally nodded. I didn't want him to find out later that I had lied.