Chapter 8: Long Time No Sage

An early morning had hit the bustling city of New York with a vibrant air. Even if it was early, the streets of the American capital were rapidly filling with people of all kinds going about their daily business.

Within an apartment bedroom sat a sleek black alarm clock sitting on a nightstand. The time read 4:59 with only a couple of seconds left before it soon changed.

Upon changing to 5:00, the alarm clock could only let out a singular beep before a finger pressed the button to dismiss the alarm.

The person that had dismissed the alarm moved to the curtains and opened them, letting in the shimmering glimpses of the rising sun. This highlighted the meticulously clean bedroom and the person who inhabited such a space, that person being the Deputy Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Maria Hill.

She was dressed in her S.H.I.E.L.D. jacket, black jeans, black boots and a black overcoat to put the ensemble together.

She left the bedroom and walked towards the front door of the apartment, picking up her keys on the way. Once she left the apartment, Maria locked the door and made her way out of the building whilst scrolling through the hundreds of unending emails and reports on her phone.

She walked across the road ahead of her and made her way into the large building ahead of her, a suited security guard opening the door for her.

"Good morning, ma'am." The guard greeted.

"Hm." Maria hummed, more focused on the emails and reports on her phone as she entered.

As she walked through the lobby, a young woman noticed her and hurriedly walked over to her with a cup of coffee in hand.

"Good Morning, Deputy Director." The young woman greeted nervously.

This young woman was a trainee Maria had personally picked as her pseudo secretary. It wasn't that she wanted to in the first place, but her boss had seen the work load she took on and ordered her to lighten the load in this way.

She still wasn't thrilled about it, but orders were orders. Oh, and her trainee's name was Casey.

"Reports." Maria ordered and Casey handed her a tablet as Maria put away her phone and took it, now scrolling through that.

"The jobs in Vancouver and Minnesota went off without a hitch, all our undercover agents have sent reports and are accounted for, although one mission did have some complications." Casey reported.

"Which one?" Maria asked, still focused on the tablet.

"Agent 420, ma'am." Casey informed.

"Keith? I thought he was still in recovery." Maria asked as she took a brief glance at Casey

"He was, but he wanted to get back on the job." Casey said, "Intelligence operations issued a simple surveillance job for him, but he collapsed and room service found him two days later."

"His accident is still affecting him?" Maria asked.

"Cripplingly so." Casey nodded.

"Did we ever find out who gave him the chronic diarrhea?" Maria asked.

"No, ma'am." Casey shook her head.

Maria sighed as they reached the main elevator, "I don't have time to deal with that shit show. Get him back on his recovery route and no more missions until I approve of them."

Casey nodded whilst Maria pressed the button of the elevator and they opened.

"Anything else?" Maria asked.

"The boss is here and he wants to see you, ma'am." Casey informed.

"Of course he does." Maria muttered as she took the cup of coffee and stepped onto the elevator, she took a sip and hummed in satisfaction, "Yours are still the best, good job."