Chapter 10: Genius

The two women sat in silence as Optimus drove them through a relatively empty street within the dark night. Maria watched the passing palm trees planted on the sidewalks along with the either closed shops or open night stands and Sage preoccupied herself with tinkering with N.E.W.T. who beeped every now and then.

Maria looked away from the window and turned to look at Sage who was fully focused on what she was doing. Watching her like this was intriguing because of the little quirk Sage seemed to have as she worked. Every now and then she'd smirk to herself in success when something went right. It wasn't anything that significant, but the face she made was one Maria found to be quite cute.

"I can feel you staring." Sage stated, not looking away from her work.

Maria widened her eyes and looked away opting to face the road ahead, "I-I'm not staring, just...observing."

"Observing what exactly?" Sage asked, looking up from N.E.W.T. and at her.

"The robot." Maria said, pointing to N.E.W.T. who looked up at her and beeped.

"N.E.W.T." Sage reminded.

"Right." Maria said with a nod, "I was observing N.E.W.T."

"Why? There isn't much to observe." Sage asked, connecting two wires within N.E.W.T.'s shell.

"Well it's not like he can create a freaking black hole with just a toss and an order from you." Maria said sarcastically.

"Isn't that the dream." Sage said, closing up an open plate on N.E.W.T.'s hardware.

"What do you mean?" Maria asked.

"N.E.W.T.'s main function is just crowd control and space management. Sure little things like cans, watches-"

"My phone." Maria added with narrowed eyes.

"That." Sage said with a nervous nod, "He can suck up little things like those, but bigger things like humans for example are much too large for him so he just pulls them in rather than suck them up."

"That's why those guys at the club weren't sent off somewhere." Maria said, now understanding what she meant.

Sage nodded, "N.E.W.T. emulates some properties of a black hole, but he isn't equipped to generate that kind of power, not yet at least."

Maria blinked in utter bafflement as her eyes snapped to the Sage's Phase Chamber, "Okay, what about that? That disc thing. You threw it and it felt like the entire world became..."

"Ethereal?" Sage asked in amusement and Maria nodded, "I call it my Phase Chamber. This disc is a conduit. A bridge between this world and another similar to ours I call The Void."

"You achieved interdimensional travel?" Maria asked in shock.

"Briefly." Sage replied, "The Phase Chamber collides our two worlds into one for a brief amount of time in a set radius. Whomever or whatever is within that radius will be pulled into The Void where everything is ghost-like. You can't touch anything nor can anything touch you since you don't belong there."

"So you're telling me that I travelled to a different dimension today?" Maria asked.

"Yup! Don't worry though, the effects aren't harmful since the travel is brief, tearing through just takes some getting used to, that's all." Sage said, "It's honestly just a quick method of escape to me. I'll focus on true dimensional travel later."

"And you called these miniscule achievements?" Maria asked in shock

"Any scientist worth their knowledge could figure things like this out if they put their mind to it." Sage said with a shrug.