Arc 2: (Chapter 119-121)

Chapter 119: Shizun's Four Souls Assembled

Chu Wanning hadn't heard what Rong Jiu was shouting back there, but based on the current situation, he didn't need any explanation to realise that Rong Jiu had been purposely trying to provoke him back at the warehouse, to make him angry so Rong Jiu could catch an opportune moment to escape and snitch.

Chu Wanning was the sort of person who would normally think things through in a rational manner no matter the situation, but when it came to situations involving Mo Ran, all his rationality and calm seemed to have disappeared into thin air. He was somewhat flabbergasted to realise just how easily he'd been hoodwinked by a few words from a sissy like that.

He watched Mo Ran who was running a few paces ahead of him, and asked in spite of himself, "Did you ever... go back to Immortal Peach Pavilion, after?"

Having abruptly heard the name he himself had almost forgotten, Mo Ran staggered and yelled, furious, "Rong Jiu, that dirty bastard! Did he say I went back to Immortal Peach Pavilion after?! Why would I! Shizun are you mad at me for this? Because he said I lied to you?"

"......"

"After the whole thing at the Platform of Sin and Virtue, I never went back to... those kinds of places. I wouldn't lie to Shizun; if Shizun doesn't believe me, then you can use Jiangui to bind me and interrogate me."

"...No need."

Chu Wanning dropped his gaze, seeing that Jiangui was still tightly gripped in his hand. Thinking about how he had just injected spiritual powers into the willow vine to whip Mo Ran into a bloody mess without care or reason, that really had been...

Wait, holy weapon?!

Jiangui's flames illuminated his complexion, bright against the darkness of the night. Chu Wanning stared at it for a moment, his mind tossing and turning frantically. He tried reversing the flow of the spiritual powers injected within Jiangui into the heart of his palm, and instantly felt a powerful and abundant power incessantly rushing in.

Suddenly, Chu Wanning knew where he could draw spiritual power from——

While spiritual powers could not flow between the living and the dead, the powers of a holy weapon didn't care whether the wielder was a human, ghost, god, or demon; as long as the weapon itself accepted, then it'd all be connected!

Mo Ran ran on for a while before he realised that Chu Wanning had stopped. He immediately turned back, and asked anxiously, "Shizun, what is it?"

The lash wound on his face was still bleeding, and with those bright black eyes, he looked all the more pitiful.

Chu Wanning pursed his lips, feeling somewhat chagrined and a little pained. Although he felt like he really had wronged Mo Ran, his inner pride pointed out that Mo Ran really had entangled himself with the likes of Rong Jiu in the past, so that lash had not been undeserved.

After a moment of contemplation, Chu Wanning didn't know what tone he should take or what expression to face him with either, so he could only go with the simple route of speaking with no emotions and no expression.

"Mo Ran, stop, and retreat back to the palace walls."

"...To do what?"

Chu Wanning replied flatly, "I'll show you a trick."

"......"

Before he could wrap his head around his Shizun's words, Mo Ran saw the red light of Jiangui flowing endlessly into Chu Wanning's remnant soul, enveloping his spirit with a blanket of flames. Mo Ran's eyes widened as he watched Chu Wanning and Jiangui respond to each other. Suddenly, the flames abruptly vanished. The man garbed in golden and red robes raised the willow vine, hissing with threads of flames, and turned his head to address Mo Ran.