Three

Mom has to physically pry me away from Dad when it's time for them to go. They leave me sobbing on the office floor with my head in my hands.

Mae is crouched down by my side, trying to comfort me. Every time she reaches for my shoulder, I dart away. I don't want her comfort. I want my parents.

"I know this is hard, Ayla. It must be so confusing and overwhelming. Why don't we check what your new schedule is going to be? Hmm?" Mae stands, grabbing the schedule from Mr. David's hand.

"You have language arts with me first thing in the morning at eight to nine. From nine to ten is math. Ten to eleven is science in your normal science classroom. Eleven to eleven-thirty is lunch. Eleven-thirty to one-thirty is nap. One-thirty to two is play time.

"Our day ends at two o'clock. We'll wrap up the school day then. On some days you'll meet with potential caregivers after school and other days you'll have free time for the rest of the day.

"Once your parents house is cleared, I'll drive you home at two until we find your caregivers. Sound like a plan?"

"Why am I doing language arts and math with you?" I mutter, wiping my wet eyes on the sleeve of my hoodie.

"Ayla, you're way behind your peers when it comes to those two subjects. We've found that Little's tend to get behind in those subjects. You're a senior, but your reading and math levels are at a fifth grade level. You're barely passing as it is."

Mae's words aren't meant to hurt. That doesn't mean that it doesn't. They sting. I try my best. My best just never seems to be good enough.

"I want to be in my normal classes." Pouting, I cross my arms over my chest and turn away from Mae.

"Oh, sweet girl. It's all going to be okay. I know you're having some big feelings and it seems overwhelming, but trust me, this is all for the best." Mae takes on a soothing, motherly tone. I want none of it.

Pushing up from my sitting position, I yell at Mae to stop talking to me like I'm a child. Ripping open the door, I go to head to my locker. I'm going back to my normal classes. Fuck whatever they're telling me. It's wrong.

"Ayla! Where are you going?" Mae calls after me as I pick up speed until I'm nearly running towards my locker.

"I'm going to class. I'm not going to sit in that office anymore and listen to your lies. You're all full of crap."

Marching towards my locker, I put in the code and swing the door open. In the back of my mind, I recognize that I'm making a spectacle out of myself. I just can't seem to make myself stop.

"Ayla, you're not going back to your normal classes. Do you want to come and check out your new classroom? It's on the other end of the school in it's own little hallway." Mae offers like it's the best sounding thing ever.

"I would rather chop my own finger off and feed it to a dog." Not really. That would probably hurt really bad and I would cry.

"That doesn't sound very pleasant." Mae winces as I dig my math binder out, throwing it into my book bag and slamming the door shut.

Finally, Mae just sighs and nods to somebody that's standing close by. The man is nearly six-and-a-half feet tall. His height is intimidating. He lifts me up with no effort, tossing me over his shoulder while I thrash in his hold.

"Let go of me!" I demand, letting go of my book bag so I can beat my fists into his back.

He carries on like I'm not even hurting him. Students watch as I'm carried towards the other side of the school. Two double doors protect a small hallways with only three classrooms.