Ten

"Nope. No, heck no. I'm not sitting in that thing." I spit, shaking my head left to right in denial.

Dad sighs for the hundredth time, his shoulders dropping as he stand next to the open car door. Inside is a car seat made for somebody my size. It has a five point harness and is my favorite shade of pink.

I may be small, but I don't think it's necessary that I sit in a car seat.

"Ayla, baby girl, can you please just get in? I know you don't want the seat. The LPA says it's mandatory. We had it custom ordered with your favorite color. It's very comfortable." Dad tries to convince.

I'll drink out of a bottle and maybe play with stuffed animals, but this is where I have to draw the line. Wiggling in Dad's hold, I try to escape the grasp of his arms. He holds me tightly, not letting me down on the ground.

"Ayla, you're going to get in that car right now, little lady! You are causing a scene. If you continue to fight I'll have no other chance than to discipline you." Henry finally bellows, clearly fed up.

"You're not my Dad! You can't tell me what to do!" I shriek, thrashing harder in Dad's arms.

"No, I'm not your Dad. I do have your Dad's permission to discipline as I see fit. You either get in that car right this very instant, or I'll take you across my knee in this parking lot where everybody can see."

Henry is being one hundred percent serious. He raises his eyebrow at me in a very fatherly fashion, crossing his arms over his chest. There's not many options for me here and I don't want to be spanked where anyone can see.

Slumping, I stop my struggle. Dad sighs in relief and bends, setting me in the seat. The soft fabric molds perfectly to my body as Dad buckles me in. Two straps across my chest that buckle in the middle, and one that goes in between my legs.

I would've thought my head would be touching the roof in this thing. I was wrong. My legs are dangling and there's plenty of room between the roof of the car and the top of my head. I hate it.

Pouting, I cross my arms over my chest and turn my head away from the door. Dad closes it and rounds the car, getting into the drivers seat. Mom's already seated in the passenger side. She rubs her eyes and yawns, clearly tired.

"We'll follow you back to your place." Otto tells Dad after making him roll his window down.

The car starts and we're off. I'm still upset with Mom and Dad for making me sit in this stupid thing, so I choose to keep quiet. Instead focusing on pouting and making my displeasure known by grunting.

"You can stop with all those noises back there, baby girl. We're very aware that you aren't happy with your seat. If you quiet down and stop, Mom will tell you about what's going on with school." Dad hits the turn signal, looking at me over his shoulder for a split second before turning.

I give one last huff, shutting up after that. Mom waits a minute to see if I'm going to continue then says, "The school had a conference yesterday about you staying in school. They agreed that it was best if they had a tutor for you instead.

"Hence, Mrs. Mae being one of your caregivers. She'll help with your education during the day. I know you'll want to socialize with others of your age group, so we also signed you up for Little's gymnastics. There's only one other in the class and he's a sweetie.

"We met him the other day when we went in to sign you up. You'll meet him later." Mom sounds so excited while I'm feeling like I'm on the verge of a meltdown.

I'm angry. I liked school even if it would've been harder without Lucy by my side and my new classification. Every choice is being made and some of them don't feel like they're in my best interest.