Twenty

Owen

Ayla cries on my shoulder as I carry her into the house. My poor baby is heartbroken. It tears me apart seeing her like this. She must feel so betrayed by her own mother.

I know exactly how she's feeling because it's exactly how I feel. Betrayed, anger, sadness. I feel it all.

Iris has done a number on our daughter. Ayla has gone through so much in these past few weeks. Now she has to deal with her mothers affair. It's just not right.

"I know, princess. Papa knows how much you're hurting. You know I'll always be here. No matter what. My sweet baby girl." I coo while rubbing her back.

She sniffles next to my ear and hiccups, wiping her eyes on my shirt. It almost makes me crack a smile. She's done that since she was a little girl. Every time she cries and I lifted her up, it would end with my shirt covered in snot.

I guess it's good that Ayla's a daddy's girl. She's been since the moment she was born. Iris never connected with her like I did.

My daughter is my shadow. Everywhere I went, she was attached to my hip. Even at almost eighteen years old, Ayla is still my baby.

That's what makes this whole situation that much harder. It breaks me to see my baby so heartbroken. I feel powerless. There's nothing I can do to make Iris step up and admit she's wrong.

There's nothing I can do to change the fact that my wife cheated on me. It's not only a betrayal to me, but to Ayla as well. Her reality has been shattered.

"My heart hurts, Papa." She whimpers.

"I know, baby doll. You know what? You'll always have me and Henry, Otto, Ethan, Lyle, Mae, and Alice. They'll always be there for you. Okay? It's okay to cry. Just remember, you have all these people that want to be in your life."

Every person I've mentioned nods and hums their agreement. Ayla actually manages to crack a smile. She sits up in my lap and wipes her eyes on the backs of her hands.

"Turn that frown upside down. We're not going to let this ruin our day. Why don't you go with them and play?" I offer.

Being upbeat and positive is hard right now. Nevertheless, I put on a smile and happy face for my child because that's what any parent should do.

"Okay, Papa. I love you." She kisses my cheek and hops off my lap, skipping to Ethan.

The giant of a man lifts her up and tickles her under her chin. Ayla shrieks with laughter and wraps her arms around his neck.

I'm grateful for these guys and girls who have uprooted their lives to help with Ayla. They've been extremely helpful during these past few days. Without them, I'm sure Ayla would've seen me at my worst.

I will admit I haven't been the past since I came to my parents house. Between my lack of sleep and arguing with Iris over the phone, I haven't had time to worry about Ayla.

They've picked up my slack without complaint and distracted Ayla from the ugly reality of this situation. I'm fighting to keep my daughter in my care. There's only a few more months until she turns eighteen, which means Iris still has legal rights to her.