Seven

Henry

It's late by the time I get home from my long day at the office. Pulling into my driveway, I sigh and rub my tired eyes. Shutting off the engine, I go to step out of the car when my phone rings.

My husband's and I have given up on the hope of getting ourselves a little a long time ago. We all met in high school, instantly connecting after we all turned out to be the only caregivers in our school.

The minute we graduated, we moved in with each other and set up a nursery for our future little. The Little protection agency told us we would receive a call when they found a person to match us with.

That was nearly ten years ago. For the first couple years, I would jump with hope every time my phone rang. Those days are long gone.

Picking up my phone without checking the caller ID, I say, "Hello?"

"Hello, this is April with the LPD. Is this Henry?"

My heart pounds in my chest and my ears ring slightly. Is this the call? After all these years are we finally going to meet our baby and bring them home? I don't want to get too hopeful still, but it's hard not to.

Clearing my throat, I quickly answer, "Yes, this is he."

"I'm calling to inform you that we've found a potential match for you and your husband's. Now, this is a difficult case to say the least. I will have to warn you that we've already had a couple caregivers come to see her and it wasn't a good fit.

"Ayla is... difficult to say the least. She only just got her designation and she's having a hard time falling into it. We've noticed that she responds well to strong male caregivers, as they remind her of her father.

"Along with behavioral issues, Ayla also has showed issues with food and ADHD. She currently has a feeding tube and as long as she eats everything that's given to her, then it'll be taken out by the end of the week.

"I can understand if you and your husband's wouldn't want to take her case on. It won't be easy, but when her little side peeks out, she turns into the sweetest, most adorable girl.

"Ayla can be sweet and just needs a strong male presence in her life. All I ask of you is just to meet her. If you don't want to take her on after that, then I'll try to find a caregiver that can handle her."

None of what April has said sounded like a bad thing. It sounds like my future Little, crying out for a strong Daddy. A strong Daddy like my husband's and I.

We're naturally stricter than most. It's just the way we are. I'm guessing that's why we haven't been assigned a little of our own. Most Little's fall into their headspace fairly quickly, making them an ideal candidate for soft daddy's and mommy's.

April should've called us first. If they knew Ayla had trouble with falling into her headspace and didn't respect authority, we should've been their first call.

Let me be clear, we're not strict to the point of being suffocating. No, we're just big on rules while still having a soft side.

"We want to meet her. When's the soonest we can?" I voice into the phone.

"Now if you can. Ayla's napping right now, if the reports I'm getting on my side are any indication. You're welcome to come meet her."