Thirteen

"Alright, sweetheart. Can you jump up onto this scale for me? I need to get your height and weight." The nice nurse points to the scale and I happily hop up.

There's butterfly stickers stuck to it, making me suddenly want one. It would look so cool with my outfit. Maybe I could even share it with Henry, Ethan, Otto, and Lyle. They could take turns with the sticker.

As long as I get it back I'll share.

"Look at you, pretty girl! You've gained a little bit of weight. One pound to be exact! The doctor is going to be so proud of you." The pretty nurse with brown hair tickles my belly, then asks if she can pick me up.

I nod and lift my arms. She grabs me and sets me on her hip, letting me play with her shiny hair while she carries me into a room.

"Can I haves a sticker, pease?" I ask nicely, using my manners.

She taps her chin like she's thinking, then says, "If you're really, really good for the doctor, I'll make sure you get a sticker when you leave."

Well that's easy. I'll just be extra good while the doctor does whatever he has to do. As long as he doesn't poke me or give me owies. That would not be good.

I'm carried into a room that's brightly decorated. There's yellow paint with butterflies and little animals. I love it. In the middle of the room is a table that's bright pink.

"Why don't you sit here while I grab the magic cuff that tells us how your heart is doing?" The nice nurse sets me on the table while she goes to get her magic cuff.

Maybe she's a witch like Mama. That would be kinda cool. She can use her witch magic to get my blood without having to poke me.

Just thinking about it makes me jealous that Mama's a witch and I'm not. It is possible that I'm just not grown enough to have my powers yet. I'm just three after all.

"Can I wrap this around your arm?" Nurse lady asks.

I nod, holding out my arm while the guys stand around the room. Lyle is smiling at me, and when he sees me looking, he gives me a big thumbs up.

"Now I need you to be really still so that my magic cuff can work. It's going to give you a big squeeze and then let you go. Alright?"

I nod my head and hold out my arm so she can wrap the magic doo da thingy around my upper arm. It squeezes me tightly, almost to the point where it's owie. My face scrunches up as it holds me for a long time.

"I want it off! It's owie!" I whine, trying not to move so it can be over with quicker.

"Just a few more second, baby girl. Be brave for just a little bit longer." Lyle comes over as he's talking, rubbing my back to try and comfort me.

My eyes fill with tears and I sniffle. Before my tears can fall, the stupid magic cuff finally lets me go. Lyle lifts me up and sets me on his lap, facing him.

He kisses my cheeks and rubs my back until I stop sniffling. I snuggle into his chest and put my thumb in my mouth. The meanie nurse used her witch magic to hurt me. I don't think I like her anymore.

"I'm sorry about that, Ayla. I know the cuff can sometimes hurt. When you're ready, I need you to go potty so I can have some of your pee pee." The nurse hands Lyle a cup.

Why does she want me to go potty in a cup? Is she going to use my pee pee to make some witchy spells on me? If so, I don't think I'll go potty for her.

"Come on, little lady. I'll help you in the potty." Henry tries to take me from Lyle, making me shake my head.

"She's gonna use my pee pee to make witchy potions to give me more owies." I whine, clinging to Lyle.