Twenty-One

Ayla

For the next couple weeks, everything is okay. We stay at Grandma and Grandpa's where I can ride my horse and forget about Mom's affair. It isn't too bad.

Dad argues on the phone with Mom a lot. He thinks I don't hear it, but I do. He's either sad or angry all the time. All except when he's around me. That's the only time he smiles.

"Ayla? We have to get you going. We're going to be late." I hear Henry call.

Groaning, I look at the leotard that's sitting beside me in bed. It's blush pink with sparkles. Henry and the guys bought it for me yesterday. Apparently, I need a leotard for the stupid gymnastics class they're making me take.

When I complained to Dad, telling him I didn't want to, he told me that it's required for socialization with people like me. I'm more than content with the people around me, so I don't understand why this is necessary.

"Angel? Are you getting dressed? I don't hear any movement in there." Henry calls out again.

Resigning myself to my fate, I stand and strip out of my clothes, throwing on the stupid leotard.

"I'm coming!" Rushing through my movements, I toss my hair into a ponytail and run out of the room.

Everybody's sitting in the living room when I walk in. It was decided that only three of them would take me today. The chosen three were Alice, Otto, and Ethan.

"You look absolutely adorable! Can I take a photo?" Lyle presses his fingers to his mouth in a hopeful gesture.

He looks at me with big shiny eyes, making me sigh with hesitant agreement. "Okay, I guess so."

I could never say no to Lyle. He's my favorite so far and has always treated me right.

He claps his hands and stands up, grabbing his shiny phone out of his back pocket. Putting on a phony smile, I look at the camera and pose.

"You are just the cutest!" He stows his phone and grabs me, settling me in on his hip.

"Let's get some shoes and pants on you, and then you'll be ready to go." As he talks, Lyle bounces me on his hip.

"I can dress myself. Thank you very much." Wiggling, Lyle sets me down and I run to my room, slipping on a pair of sweatpants.

Dressed and shoes now on my feet, I run to into the living room. "I'm ready now. Can we get this over with?"

"If you go into this was a pleasant attitude, then maybe you'll have fun." Dad says with a raise of his eyebrow.

He's right, but I'll never admit that out loud. I would rather wallow in my anger and frustration.

"Go give your dad a hug. We have to get moving." Henry advises, sending me on my way with a pat on the back.

Dad gives me the tightest hug when I wrap my arms around his frame. He gives me a kiss on the cheek and tells me to do good. I'm not sure how hard Little's gymnastics is actually going to be.

Knowing how much most caregivers want to wrap us in plastic and never let us outside. They'll probably have us doing cartwheels to stupid nursery rhymes.