Chapter Twenty-Four

Ayla

Tutoring is so stupid. I hate it almost as much as I hated real school. At least when I went to real school I got to hang out with people my own age. Here I'm just trapped with all the people that think they know what's best for me.

If I'm supposedly supposed to be a baby for the rest of my life, then why does it matter if I know basic math or not? It's not like I'll get to do the big walk to get my diploma at the end of the year.

The thought brings tears to my eyes and I sniffle, crawling underneath my covers. Ever since designation day everything has gone downhill in my life.

Mom now lives with that strange man, I'm surrounded by caregivers while living with my grandparents, Dad's sad all the time, and now I have to endure all this stupid home schooling.

While I wallow in my own thoughts, I hear several people in front of my door. They think they're being quiet as they whisper, but they're not. I can hear every hushed word they say.

They're arguing about who's going to come in here to check on me. As if I can't be alone for a few hours. I know I was in headspace when I left, but I'm not anymore. They don't need to hover over me like this.

The whispers suddenly die down and a few knocks sound on my door. If they come in here right now, I will throw a fit. That's a promise.

"Go away!" Tossing the blanket off my head, I check to make sure the door is still locked.

It is. I'm not sure if there's a key. I doubt Grandma and Grandpa would let them in even if they did have a key. They wouldn't throw me to the wolves. At least I'm hoping they won't.

"Angel? Please let me in. I'm concerned about you." Ethan's voice leaks through the door.

"I said go away! Respect my privacy!" I just want to be alone.

A long, deep sigh sounds and Ethan says softly, "Okay. I'll be back in twenty minutes to check on you. If you need me, all you have to do is yell."

Footsteps retreat back down the hall and I give a sigh of relief. At least they're allowing me these twenty minutes to myself. Having all these people around is overwhelming.

Maybe the LPA was wrong when they said I needed five caregivers. That's way too much. Plus, I'm still not convinced that I'm a Little. They may not allow retests, but I'm going to change that.

Leaning back in my bed, I grab my favorite teddy and pull the blanket back over my head. My thumb naturally makes it's way to my mouth. Just because I suck my thumb for comfort, doesn't mean I'm a Little.

It's totally just a comfort thing.

Closing my eyes, I relax down into my soft mattress. I'm almost asleep when another knock sounds on my door. Why can't they just leave me alone!?

"Ayla? Are you ready to come out now? We can play with some of your toys and have a snack." This time it's Lyle asking.

"Stop babying me!" I screech, beyond fed up.

"Alright, lovie. Can I just come in to check that you're okay?"

My eyes roll to the heavens as I try to gather some patience. I'm so close to having a fit. It isn't even funny.