Chapter One

Author's Note:

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated! This is a first draft and anything is subject to change. I am writing out the whole story first, then will be going back to make edits (Though, I do check for grammar and spelling before publishing each chapter).

Also, this is a Christian story, but no way a family/friendly story because life isn't that way. There will be cussing and other stuff that you wouldn't find in a Pure Flix film. Nothing Rated R, though. Nor am I looking to convert anyone. This is just a story about human beings and their struggles (who happen to be Christians). 

-- & --

Ben rushed around the kitchen, trying to get breakfast made and lunches packed. His wife, Makayla, or Kayla, as she preferred to go by, got ready for work and their three current foster kiddos got ready for school. 

Their oldest at the moment was a sophomore in high school and preferred to buy her lunch from the student store, which usually consisted of just a bag of chips and a Gatorade since the school banned sodas. Still not the healthiest in his opinion, but Ben felt she was old enough to make her own choices when it came to food, aside from dinner.

Ben and Kayla weren't healthy food fanatics to say, but still encouraged the kids to eat foods like fruits and vegetables, and to go easy on the sweets. Kayla enjoyed fitness and going on a run in the morning. Every other time she would extend the offer to the older ones if they'd like to join. Nothing was ever forced or pushed, though. Stuff was already forced on the kiddos who came through the Ross household already. Ben and Kayla didn't want to add more fuel to that fire.

Miguel was the first of their kiddos to come downstairs, dressed in navy blue cargo shorts and a lighter blue graphic shirt with a picture of a shark on the front, and a pair of black socks.

"Good morning, Tio Ben." Since coming to their home and bonding with them, the kid had taken it upon himself to call Ben and Kayla, Tio and Tia, the Spanish words for uncle and aunt. The four, almost five-year-old boy had surely come a long way from the timid, quiet boy he once was. It was the reason Ben and Kayla had requested to take in his sister, Mary, as well, so Miguel had someone familiar while he was adjusting in their home. Though, usually the couple tried their darndest to take in whole sibling groups, to lesser the trauma as much as possible. 

Ben looked up from the sub sandwiches he was cutting up to slide into ziplock bags. He immediately smiled. "Good morning, Miguel. You all ready to go?"

The little boy hurried over to pull out a chair from the table in the breakfast nook. "Yeah," he replied, excitedly sitting on one leg and leaning his top half on the edge of the table. "And all by myself, too."

"Yeah? That's awesome, buddy," he praised.

"Mary and Claudia were taking too long in the bathroom, so I just got dressed myself."

Ben chuckled. "Well, that's girls for ya, huh?" he teased.

The boy shook his head. "What are we gonna do with them, Tio?" It was something he picked up from Ben's sense of humor. He, of course, understood it was all in good fun.

"I don't know, kiddo." Once he finished with the sandwiches, he turned back to the stove to make Miguel a four-year-old portion-sized plate of scrambled eggs, sausage, and half a piece of toast.

Kayla was the next one downstairs, stopping at the coffeepot to pour some into a travel mug Ben had made with the kiddos, last Mother's day. It was only Mary and Miguel then, along with a boy a year older than Miguel, who was able to be returned home to his family.