Chapter Five

Kayla got home after dinner and chores were finished while the girls were watching MTV in the family room. It was perfect since all they had to call was Miguel, who was working on his latest Lego project, in the upstairs loft they used as a community play room.

Ben had saved her a plate, but Kayla assured she would eat later so they could have the meeting wrapped up by Miguel's bedtime.

With all the kids in the family room now, the first words out of their mouths were, "Are we getting a new kid?" Even while Miguel was hurrying into the room like they would start without him.

"We might be getting another kid, yes," Kayla told them.

"Is it a boy?" Miguel asked, pouncing onto the couch next to his sister.

"Is it another girl our age?" Mary asked, on the edge of her seat towards the woman.

"It is another girl," she confirmed calmly.

Miguel moaned, slumping back into the couch while Mary cheered, "Yay!"

"Kimmy is nine years old, however. Which is one of the reasons why we called you all for a family meeting."

Claudia raised her hand part way up where she was still slouched on the couch while watching TV. She didn't wait to be called on. "I already said I'm okay with her being in my room."

"Yes, Ben told me, Claudia," Kayla assured the oldest girl. "I'm glad you are willing to let a kid room with you. That's very sweet of you. But what if Kimmy isn't comfortable rooming with you, an almost adult?"

Claudia shrugged. "I will let her know I'm fun to be around, then. I just don't think Mary should have to give up her room just because of that."

"I mean, I'm okay doing it if I have to," Mary pointed out. "I'm just worried about Miguel." She glanced over at her brother, who was still laying on the couch where he had dropped, with a sour look on his face. She reached over to tickle his knee sticking in the air.

"That's why we wanted to ask you first and see how you both feel about it," said Ben. "See if Miguel would be willing to try being separated from you now that he's had some time with us." He turned to the youngest in the room. "What do you think, bud? Would you be willing to try not having your sister in the room next to you?"

Miguel sat up. "Um." The sour look turned into a worried expression.

"You can say no," Kayla reassured him.

"I don't know," he said instead, while looking over at his big sister.

She nudged him with the back of her hand to encourage him. "You can do it."

Miguel was still unsure to say yes, even with the encouragement from everyone. He fidgeted with a toy car that had been left there as he drove it along the couch cushion beside him.

Claudia exaggerated a loud groan. "For God's sake, just have Kimmy stay in my room. Case closed already."

Ben looked over at Kayla. Neither of them have seen Claudia fight this much on something. "What do you think?" In their state, there wasn't a rule per se, regarding the same gender rooming together if there was a large age gap. But usually it's the teenager who doesn't want to room with a much younger kid.

Kayla shrugged. "We can give it a try if this is really what you want, Claudia. But, since she's younger, you're gonna have to be open to things like a night light if she still needs one."

"Didn't you say she's nine, though?" Mary asked.

"Some kids can still need a night light when they are older, regardless of any age," she explained.