Chapter Forty

As soon as the door was unlocked, Kimmy climbed into the jeep and went all the way to the very back. On the way, she grabbed her book to take with her but wished she had one of her stuffed animals.

Even though she longed for Kayla in the moment, Kimmy felt it was easier to keep her distance to help avoid those difficult feelings.

Kayla didn't say anything then and left Kimmy alone. Instead, she started the jeep and pulled out of the parking spot.

Through her window, Kimmy could see Zach being helped inside the back seat of his foster dad's car. She turned her head to watch until she couldn't see them anymore. She also tried to catch a glimpse of her mom. Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be found.

However, Zach's foster dad pulled up behind them while waiting at the first stop light. She ducked her head to get one last glimpse of Zach. He was in the back seat, zoning out while staring out the opposite window. She wanted to wave but was afraid the driver between them would think Kimmy was waving at them, or the foster dad, even. So she sat there, watching her big brother instead, wanting to keep an eye on him.

His foster dad seemed nice, smiling whenever Zach rocked his head or said something. Kimmy couldn't hear what was being said and only hoped he was in a good home like she seemed to be. Would they ever be together again, was Kimmy's worry.

Despite Kimmy being younger, she was usually the one left in charge if Stella ever needed to run to the store or something. There were even times Stella took longer than expected and Kimmy felt she needed to make dinner for the both of them. It was usually just something simple like a bowl of cereal or a sandwich. She didn't want Zach to burn himself if she made him a bowl of top ramen.

Usually, when she was left in charge, Kimmy would put on a movie for them to watch in hopes Zach would be entertained. For a part of the movie, maybe. But she usually found herself following him around, making sure he didn't hurt himself or grab something he shouldn't, and hoped his foster parents were doing the same.

The light changed to green. Zach and his foster dad remained behind them for a few blocks until Kayla pulled into the parking lot of a shopping center and parked in an area where there weren't any cars around. She didn't shut off the jeep, though. Instead, Kayla turned around in her seat to look back at her.

Kimmy was still sitting sideways with her right arm buried between her and the seat. With Zach out of sight, her mind focused on Kayla again. This time it was why they had parked there. He remained in the back of her mind, though.

She heard Kayla ask how she was doing, Wilma didn't have time to explain the details so Kayla didn't know Kimmy hadn't listened like she was supposed to. She was glad until Kayla assumed Leonard would probably fill Ben in tomorrow. Would that mean she would be in trouble with them? Was she gonna have her tablet and Switch taken away?

Kayla tried to help but since Kimmy couldn't speak up, there wasn't much she could do. She asked yes or no questions to find out what happened. But the questions went unanswered.

Then the question came once more. "Would you like a hug?"

Kimmy could not look at the woman. That was the main reason for sitting back there. To resist that urge.

She's not Mom. The words echoed in her mind and she buried her face in the back of the seat. Kayla probably thought Kimmy hated her. She didn't, but maybe it was for the best. Kimmy did not like people thinking that. Lucy probably did too. And definitely Ben.

"It's okay, sweetheart. Some people are just not huggers," she heard Kayla say. Shortly after, Kimmy felt the jeep move.

Kimmy turned her head a little to stare out the opposite window as Kayla left the parking lot. But she was a hugger. It was her mom who wasn't the hugging type.