Chapter Twenty-One

Mary and Miguel's court hearing was during the second week of October, a few days before Miguel's fifth birthday.

Foster parents did not have a requirement to attend the hearings, but were always highly encouraged to. However, the kids were discouraged to attend unless there was a reason for them to be there, especially kids Miguel's age. Though, with Mary being older and had requested from Jennifer, she was able to be there on behalf of her brother. There were no guarantees she would have any say, but she would at least be heard.

Ben unfortunately did not take into account he would have to include the concern with his dad discouraging him from taking gymnastics in his reports and had to sit Miguel down a head of time once he realized Mary would no doubt learn why her brother wasn't starting classes and why he had been playing catch in the backyard with Kimmy.

Miguel was quiet about it at first, but tried to get his sister to not go. During a home visit with their Guardian ad Litem, or GAL for short, David, an argument broke out between the siblings that ended with Miguel in tears. He gave Mary a bruise where he had punched her. In retaliation, Mary pinched her brother on his arm.

David offered to take Miguel for ice cream to give them each a time-out from each other and hear his side while Mary took a walk around the block with Kayla and Samson.

The week leading up to the review hearing for Ben was spent getting things prepared, including his report that would be briefly touched on. Since he tried to keep up on all the kids' progress on a weekly basis, he didn't have much to do.

Ben showered that morning once the kids were dropped off, except for Mary. He put on a button-up plain blue shirt and tan slacks. The dress code wasn't strict that they had to wear a suit and tie, but they also couldn't wear everyday clothes. Kayla just wore her usual work attire.

Kayla drove since they would be cutting things close with picking the other kids up from school. With traffic, it was about a forty-five minute drive to the court building where foster care hearings took place.

Just like at the prison, Ben, Kayla, and Mary had to go through a security check, placing all their belongings they brought in a bin while they went through the metal detector. Kayla had to have her purse checked.

Jennifer and David were already there, waiting outside the courtroom, when the trio took the elevator to the second floor. David checked in with Mary to catch her up with what will happen during the hearing and to see if she had any questions or any last minute concerns that would need to be addressed.

Fifteen minutes before their case was called, Mary and Miguel's aunt got there. Since Mary was just a little kid, the last time the woman had seen her, Rosa hardly recognized her.

"You look so much like your mom, nina," she noted, looking the fourteen-year-old over and immediately insisted on a hug, which Mary humbly obliged before introducing her to Ben and Kayla.

Ben and Kayla each shook her head. Ben was afraid there would be a language barrier, having only taken a couple Spanish classes in high school, which Mary told him didn't really help much since there were different dialects per household sometimes.

"Nina, you look so beautiful and grown up," Rosa continued to say, now holding Mary's chubby face in her hands. "You're looking out for your brother, right?"

Mary shrugged modestly. "That's why I'm here."

"Muy bien," she said with a firm nod, then turned to Ben and Kayla. Unlike Ivan, Rosa was warm and welcoming to them, and expressed her gratitude for taking care of her niece and nephew.