Chapter Thirty-Seven

Getting the kids up was easier than it was for school, but it was still chaotic.

Ben kept breakfast light, since they would probably be eating a good amount of food at the fair. So, he made oatmeal to start the day. It was at least somewhat healthy since they would be eating greasy, fair food.

Kayla made sure the kids got up and were dressed for a long day of walking and being on their feet. Once everyone was fed and ready, everyone piled into Kayla's jeep.

Both Miguel and Kimmy brought their tablets, along with headphones, to keep themselves occupied. Though Kimmy started watching hers during breakfast. Normally they tried to keep devices out of the kitchen, but were less strict about it with breakfast and lunch, especially if it was a weekend. She was also already ready to go and didn't seem to be constantly told to eat. 

When they picked up Grandma Joy from her house in Peoria, she insisted the older girls did not need to give up their seats. Instead, she climbed in the back to sit between Kimmy and Miguel, insisting she was not too old and definitely not feeble. She asked what each of the kids was watching. Miguel shared he had found a new cartoon while Kimmy barely looked up from her screen.

Miguel responded for her, instead. "Kimmy watches people play games."

"Oh, I see," Grandma Joy said with a nod. She then asked if they were excited about the fair, which Miguel lit up with excitement. "What about you, Kim? Are you excited for the fair?"

When Kimmy still hadn't responded, Ben called back from the front seat. Just because they weren't making her talk, he requested she acknowledge Grandma Joy or he would take the tablet away for the rest of the day. If it was a yes or no question, he didn't want Kimmy to ignore someone and explained how it was rude of her. 

Kimmy looked from Ben to Grandma Joy and shrugged.

"You don't know?" Grandma Joy asked with a chuckle. "Well, have you ever been to the fair?"

Kimmy shook her head.

"Well, you are in for a real treat," she told her. "It may not be Disney Land, but it can be just as fun."

At some point, Grandma Joy insisted they change the radio station to K-Love, a Christian radio station, not wanting to listen to the older girls' music any longer. Claudia was the only one who minded listening to Christian music and asked for a compromise to listen to country music instead.

"I let you keep your seats," the older woman reminded Claudia. 

"And?" Claudia asked with a shrug and a slight attitude. "We didn't ask you to do that."

The woman's eyebrows arched as if she felt disrespected and sternly remarked, "It sounds like you need to be listening to some good Christian tunes."

Claudia twisted in her seat as if she might pitch a fight with the older woman. The only barrier that stopped her was the seatbelt. "Uh, excuse me? All I asked was for a compromise. Are you that uptight you can't even do that?"

Kayla stepped in before Ben had a chance to, glancing up at them through the rearview mirror. She calmed Claudia down first, who tried to argue, but Kayla assured she would handle it. Though both Claudia and Grandma Joy were in the wrong, Kayla focused on her mom. 

"The girl was about to fight her elder. She seems like she needs Jesus in her life," Grandma Joy said with a shrug.

Claudia mumbled something under her breath, but it wasn't quite clear.