Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ben got back in his truck, with several thoughts racing through his mind. He started the engine as he gazed through the windshield. It had been a long day, and he felt drained from all of it. From learning about the next men's group discussion to having a difficult conversation with the foster kiddos' father/stepfather. Though it seemed like there should have been some relief with Mr. O'Reilly possibly figuring out why Kimmy didn't speak. It still brought up more questions.

He took in a deep breath through his nose and slowly blew out through his mouth.

A tingle against his leg prompted Ben to take his phone out of his pocket, where he still had it on vibrate. The current vibration was for an email that could wait until later. The most important to him was Kayla had messaged him back while he was in the meeting, letting him know she would be home early that afternoon. She had also asked how the visit went between Miguel and his father. With reluctance, Ben told her though things were great between them, he and Ivan, not so much.

Kayla texted back shortly after, who asked what happened. He then typed back and briefly explained what happened, starting with Ivan asking why Mary was upset with him. I tried to keep things at peace. But I'm afraid I let my emotions get the best of me again.

Ben turned the radio on, switching from Miguel's choice of music to one of his sports radio stations to hopefully distract his mind for now so he could drive safely.

He then typed Sasha and James' address into the map app on his phone and had it tell him how to get there.

Before setting the phone in the cup holder beside him, another text popped up from Kayla. He opened the message to read what she sent.

Did it get ugly? If it was bad, the officers on duty would have asked you to leave, I'm sure.

Ben typed back and admitted to Ivan almost losing it, but stopped himself when he saw Miguel returning from the restroom. He then set the phone in the cup holder for now and backed out of the parking space.

Ben let his phone guide him to the address he put in.

At the next red light, he stole a glance at his phone to read Kayla's next message. That's good that he has self-control for his son. You're both human, Ben. Cut yourself some slack. We're all a work-in-process.

Ben stared at it until he noticed the light change to green and put the phone back down to pay attention to the road. He just hoped Kimmy had a fun time with her friend.

It wasn't long before Ben turned into the neighborhood, making a couple more turns until he stopped in front of the house. The house was still average size, like his and Kayla's. It was just one story instead of two. The front yard was a similar desert scene. Theirs had some cactus bushes, with one tall saguaro cactus, and those yellow desert flowers along the sidewalk.

Ben got out and walked up the driveway towards the front door, where he pressed the doorbell.

Shortly after, Sasha opened the door and welcomed him inside just as Kimmy was coming over.

"Hey, Kimmy. Did you have fun?" Ben asked, throwing on a bright smile for her.

She just shrugged.

He turned back to Sasha to ask, "Everything go alright?"

"Everything was fine for the most part. She did become emotional during the movie." Sasha explained about the kids watching Star Wars the whole time and about the scene that hit close to home for Kimmy. "Kimmy's still welcome over anytime the girls want to hang out together."