Who is Jesus?

Since it was Christmas time and no kid should be completely separated from their family around this time, Leonard and Wilma set up a visit for Friday afternoon at the visitation center. Kayla got off work early and came home long enough to change into more comfortable clothes and pick up Kimmy before heading over.

Kimmy brought along her tablet, still wanting to listen to Wynonna over the film scores Kayla put on for her.

"So, you're the culprit for causing Ben to have those dreams the other day." Kayla snickered while twisted around in her seat.

Kimmy tilted her head down, ashamed.

"I'm just teasing," she reassured the little girl. Kayla connected her phone to her Jeep's radio, by Bluetooth, and opened YouTube since their satellite radio didn't play individual artists.

Kayla searched for a playlist a random user created before finally backing out of the garage.

During the drive there, she did that thing adults do when they try to hype up an event, asking if Kimmy was excited to see her mom again. The truth was, even when Kimmy was excited, she rarely showed it and always remained neutral. Of course that usually got misunderstood and worried most adults. Whether their intentions were good or not. Kayla only smiled and left her alone for the rest of the drive to Phoenix.

Eventually, Kayla pulled into the parking lot and parked in her usual spot under a shade tree. She walked Kimmy up to the main doors to sign her in and help carry in Stella's gift while Kimmy carried Zach's gift.

Kayla handed off Stella's present to the woman who would lead Kimmy to their visitation room. When she turned to head back out to the Jeep, Kimmy quickly reached for the woman's hand.

Kayla stopped in her tracks and looked at the kid. "What's wrong, Kimmy?"

Kimmy stared up at Kayla without letting go of her hand.

"I'll just be outside where I've been during your visits," she reassured once more.

There was a hand on Kimmy's shoulder and the woman nudged Kimmy forward. Kimmy reluctantly let go and allowed the woman to lead her down the hallway. She couldn't even look back.

Her chest tightened as Kimmy followed the woman down that long hallway, decorated with those cheesy photos of kids and families with generic, inspirational quotes, including the one about reaching for the moon and landing among the stars.

It had been almost two months since she had seen her mom, and, of course, Kimmy missed her. So why was she so afraid of seeing her? Especially when all that had happened seemed to be in the past and long forgotten about?

The woman knocked before opening the door. The whole visiting center was decorated with Christmas decor. Kimmy was nudged into the room where on to the other, she was facing a large Christmas tree, with lights in the shape of candles, among other golden bows and glass balls.

Zach was the first to greet her, grinning his signature wide, toothy grin. He noticed the gift right away and tried to snatch it out of his sister's hands. The woman took the gift before he could and took both gifts over to the table where Christmas treats were laid out.

"It's about time you got here," was the first thing out of Stella's mouth. "Your brother wouldn't leave the food alone. Can't they ever be on time?" Kayla had come from work and Wilma had scheduled this visit during rush hour traffic. So the odds of them making it on time were low. It didn't seem to matter to Stella, who always found something to complain about. She would complain even when there was nothing to complain about. So, there wasn't honestly a point in arguing with her.