⁹INSUFFERABLE FOOL

𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓
Chapter Nine||Insufferable Fool
"Oh forget that fool of a boy Cora, he's rubbish!"

     𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄, 𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐘. In fact, she was very unhappy. She was so unhappy that she came storming into the house, banging the door behind her, getting a reprimanding from both Hannah and Marmee.

     "What's the matter, dear?" Marmee asked soothingly, rubbing her daughter's shoulder to try to calm her down. "Charles Miller is!" Cora scowled, putting her face in her hands at the mere mention of the boy's name.

     "He's so- He's just so exasperating and a fool of a boy!"

     "Darling-" "I know Marmee it isn't very nice of me to say such things, but it's true!"

     Before Cora could indulge more into the matter, Meg came rushing down the stairs in a flurry, worrying about her gloves.

     "I can't find my other glove!" Meg complained, looking round the house red in the face. "Take mine!" Jo shouted from upstairs. "We're going to be late!" Meg spoke, looking at the cabinet in hopes to find her gloves.

     "Oh goodness, Cora, you're here!" Meg gasped as she finally laid eyes on her younger sister, who was still sitting on the couch in a foul mood. "You're still coming with us, right?" She asked smiling.

     "Coming where?" Amy inquired, curious as to where her sisters were going. "You're not invited," Jo answered coming down the stairs. "Did you just come back, Cora?"

     Cora just nodded in response, not bothering to form any words. "Are you still-" "Yes she is," Meg spoke, interrupting Jo and hauling Cora up from the couch despite her protests. "But I don't-"

     "Laurie invited you, you have to go," Jo said, taking Cora from her sister and hugging her. "What's the matter? Usually you're so happy when Laurie invites you out for things," She spoke, sensing some sort of unhappiness within her sister.

     "Charles Miller," Cora muttered, to which Jo hugged her even tighter. "Oh forget that fool of a boy Cora, he's rubbish!" She insulted light-heartedly, to which Cora let out a small giggle.

     "Now come on, get ready, so we can go!"

     At this, Cora rushed upstairs in a seemingly better mood than before to get ready. When she returned down, she saw Amy throwing a shoe at Jo, looking quite annoyed.

     "Oh, there you are, Cora!" Meg exclaimed in relief, "Come we best be off, we'll be late otherwise," She said, dragging Jo and Cora out of the house away from a moody upset Amy.

     "What's wrong with her?" Cora questioned as they stepped out of the house with linked arms. "Oh don't bother with her my dear Coral, she's just being a child because we said she couldn't come to the theatre," Jo spoke, rolling her eyes remembering her sister's childish behaviour.

     Cora just nodded, and the three sisters continued their journey towards the theatre, where they would meet Mr Brooke and Laurie.

     "Do you know what we're seeing?" Meg asked, "No, but I'm sure it'll be great," Jo said, shrugging. "Not as great as us, though," Cora commented with a grin. "Why, of course not!"