¹²I KNOW THOSE GLOVES

𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓
Chapter Twelve||I Know Those Gloves
"You must be delirious or sick with fever because I can assure you, you've never seen these before."

☆

     "I swear I've seen those gloves before," Charles remarked, glancing at the gloves that were on Cora's hand at the moment. Hiding her hands away quickly, Cora glared at him, "You must be delirious or sick with fever because I can assure you, you've never seen these before."

     Smirking, Charles shook his head, amusement evident on his face, "do not try and trick me my dear Delia because I can recall our dear friend Laurie having possession of those gloves a few weeks back. And thinking back to it, they were his most prized pair of gloves."

     "Why do you remember what gloves Laurie wears?" questioned Cora, avoiding Charles's incessant stare. "Why wouldn't I?" he stated as it were obvious, "you're avoiding the topic of interest, by the way," he pointed out.

     "I have noticed, but thank you for acknowledging the obvious."

     "You are most welcome, my dear Delia!"

     Soon enough, Charles and Cora had finally arrived back at the March's household, with Cora impatiently (basically running) back home. Quickly entering the front porch, Cora was about to open the door before she looked back and saw Charles about to leave.

     Before she could stop herself she shouted Charles names to which he responded to by turning back around.

     Giving him a small smile, Cora nodded her head, "thank you for accompanying me back home, although I didn't want it," "it was my pleasure Delia," Charles responded with a smile evident on his face as well. "Would you like to come in?" Cora asked, feeling the need to offer him courtesy.

     Shaking his head, Charles politely declined the offer and soon after a few more words of courtesy and conversation, Charles left the March residency and Cora entered the house in a rush.

     Opening the door, she finds no one downstairs besides a lonesome Laurie, who seemed to be making his way out of the house. "Laurie!" she exclaimed, going forward for a hug, which Laurie accepted. "What's happened?" Cora asked, noticing the expression on Laurie's face, to which he quickly changed. "Amy fell into the river," he stated, "is she fine?" "From what I can tell, yes, but Jo is ever so terribly upset."

     "You must tell me everything," Cora said, grabbing Laurie's hands and pulling him towards a couch. "Do you not want to go check on your sisters?" Laurie asked, a smile gracing his features at Cora's touch. Gasping, Cora quickly got up from the couch, not before telling Laurie to stay put and rushed upstairs.

     Turns out, everything was fine and Amy was asleep in bed while Marmee consoled an upset and remorseful Jo. Cora supposed she wasn't needed for anything and returned downstairs to converse with Laurie, who told her the whole tale in detail.

     But all Cora got from the tale was the fact that Amy most definitely did not listen to her rave about how dangerous it was to skate in the middle of a pond.

     "I hate to leave you here, Lia, but I think my grandfather is anticipating me at home," Laurie said with a sheepish grin when Cora was about to tell him of her day at dance. "Then you should've said sooner, Laurie!" Cora said shaking her head and laughing, "I do apologise for keeping you longer here, do tell your grandfather that it was my fault not yours."

     (I cba to finish this bit off, so let's pretend Cora and Laurie say goodbye and Cora goes upstairs and is getting ready for bed and sees Amy awake)

     "You've had quite the adventure today," Cora commented with a small smile looking in Amy's direction before settling onto her bed. "If by adventure you mean a near-death experience, then yes, I have," Amy scoffed, lifting her head from her pillow to sit upright.

     "I have told you multiple times-" "Not to skate in the middle blah blah blah," Amy said cutting Cora off, "in my defence I was preoccupied with other thoughts."

     In response, Cora just shook her head, "are you feeling okay?"

     "Besides the headache that is you, I am fine."

     "Well, apologies for trying to make some conversation with my sister," Cora said, rolling her eyes before climbing into bed and laying down onto her pillow.

     "How was your day at the dance thing, anyway?" Amy asked, "you'll never believe who got the male lead part," Cora scoffed, thinking back to her day.

     "With that scoff, I think it's definitely your best friend Charles," Amy giggled, dodging when Cora threw a pillow in her direction. "He's so-" "insufferable? Yes, you've used that insult many times, Cora."

     "I wasn't going to say that!"

     "You should invite him over-" another pillow was thrown at Amy. "Why would you want a boy like that in our house?!" Cora exclaimed exasperatedly.

     "To annoy you," Amy grinned, picking up a pillow from her bed and throwing it at Cora, which lead to a pillow fight which ended with both girls on the floor and a very annoyed Marmee looking down upon them.

Authors Note

     a really short chapter while I think of an idea of what to do or next chapter because I don't want to skip straight away to meg going to that party thing so maybe ill do some Laurie and Cora moments? mixed with a bit of Charles as well?

edit: next chapters going to be a mix of Laurie and Charles scenes so we can kinda see some development in Cora and their relationships