Chapter 6: Servants of Undeath

Zuranon Headquarters, five years before Ainz Ooal Gown

Khajiit Dale Badantel walked down the decrepit hallway of Zuranon's headquarters, his staff tapping against the floor as it worked as an impromptu walking stick. Despite his lifetime efforts, he had yet to achieve lichhood, and he was feeling the effects that came with old age.

He sighed, nodding to two acolytes he passed. They bowed to him, keeping their faces obscured in the darkness of their hoods. Their robes were bare, no embroidery or decorations to signify the history of its wearer.

They are very new, recently inducted, those two. I wonder which of the executives brought in those ones, if they're able to so freely walk these halls without a master.

Zuranon made it a habit to allow an extremely finite number of people to enter its halls, both as a safety precaution and as a sign of exclusivity. Not just any necromancer could walk the grounds of their headquarters.

There were a variety of bases and locations where the regular members of Zuranon lived, either in the ruins of destroyed cities or in the outside fringes of villages, where anonymity was easy to come by.

The location of the main headquarters where the twelve executives of Zuranon, Khajiit included, was a closely guarded secret. Should a member with the location memorized be captured in any way, there were magical failsafes to have themselves be killed should their mind be probed for the information.

At the end of Khajiit's path was an iron door, reinforced with enchantments against eavesdropping and unauthorized entering. His presence was automatically detected by the magic of the door, and it swung silently on its hinges to grant him access.

Throwing on his hood, the old necromancer slipped inside. The heavy door shut behind him, bathing him in countless shadows that were only beaten back by the dim torches on either side of the hall at regular intervals.

After walking a bit further through the pitch darkness, he heard voices straight ahead, those of his fellow executives. He pondered what it was that they were discussing, but he already had a hunch about what today's topic would be.

Finally, he entered into an expansive, circular room that was marginally brighter than the hallway. A crystal chandelier high above provided barely enough light, and more torches surrounded the perimeter of the room with that same dull fire.

It appeared he was the second to last to arrive, as the head executive was still not there. His fellow executives stood inside marked circles outlined in chalk on the ground, pillars of stone between them. Inside each pillar was a violet orb that pulsed with mana, which helped to amplify their voices so they could be heard clearly.

Khajiit took his place, smoothing down his robes and adjusting his skull necklace. The executive to his left turned to face him, nodding politely.

"Khajiit. I trust your journey to the headquarters was a safe one?"

"More boring than anything else. With all the efforts that I take to remain hidden, nothing truly exciting happens along such trips, Raksus," he replied back.

"Ah, perhaps then if you took on two acolytes as you should have, they would provide you the necessary entertainment you so seek, my old friend," Raksus said, his mustache curving up with his lips in a rare smile.

"Why should I, when my path is to lead to lichdom itself?" the decrepit man asked, "I have no use for acolytes beyond servants, and servants I can easily acquire from any nearby coven, or I can raise them myself."

Raksus grunted. "Even still, you know it is tradition to have at least two apprentices. One shall be your successor, and the other your successor's advisor. How you ever managed yourself without one from your own acolyte years all this time is beyond me."