Chapter 45: Mark of the Demon Lord

The Spriggan Settlement

He leaned back in his wicker chair with a sigh, breathing in the pleasant smells of the Forest of Tob just beyond. He enjoyed being able to relax and merely people-watch from the comfort of an old fashioned patio on a farm house. Blue Planet was right. This place truly was the perfect place to get away from the tomb and be able to enjoy the fresh air.

The scent of pine and freshly crushed grass reminded Ancient One, one of the two lead strategists of Ainz Ooal Gown, of the biodomes that his family would take a vacation to at least once a year. His nose wrinkled at the memory, snorting at the absurdity of the existence of biodomes now that he was in the New World.

"Remembering something fondly, Mr. Junichiro? This would be a good place to do it, if you're as busy as you usually say you are," asked his host, Pops as he was affectionately nicknamed by the community he ran. The seer found him to be a quaint individual but preferred his original name of Hagnar.

Ancient One waved off the question. "Merely something from my adolescence. I had realized the absurdity of an old ritual I'd partake in, one that seems quite dull now that I am here."

"Ah, I see. We all have our embarrassing moments as children, not really realizing the full impact it would have on us as adults. Even at my age, I still remember the stupid things I'd get up to with the other children of the settlement."

"Hmm. Might I have some more tea? I'm parched, and haven't had much to drink today."

"Most certainly, Mr. Junichiro," Hagnar reached over for the teapot, smiling the whole while. His wizened hands grasped the fine porcelain with a steadiness that should've faded with age long ago. He had no problems pouring the demon another steaming cup and handing it to him on a saucer.

Some of the gold jewelry, as well as the Amulet of Greater Hel he was wearing around his neck, jingled with his movements. Ancient One sipping the offered drink gratefully. "A fine cup as always, Hagnar. It is undoubtedly the best I've had outside my own home."

It was times like this that he was grateful he could sit back and enjoy the soothing qualities of nature without having to spend an exorbitant amount of money. The biodomes where nature conservation projects were in full swing showed the clearest picture of what the Old World had to offer, but to be able to enjoy a biodome was a luxury few could, if ever, be able to afford.

He felt like he didn't get enough sunlight out of the tomb these days, having spent a majority of his time working in his office and maintaining the internal structures of the guild itself. Under normal circumstances, this would have presented a colossal amount of work to be feared, but having the help of administrative NPCs like Albedo and Demiurge helped immensely.

His ever-present grin brightened considerably when he thought of those two. He couldn't sing enough praises about their work ethic. To say that the two of them almost single-handedly managed the entirety of Nazarick beyond his reach was a complete understatement. At times, he felt like he was unnecessarily shoving work onto them, forcing them to bear a burden that no one should have to.

Their compliance with the paperwork delegation does have its advantages, however. Punitto Moe's own insistence at working alongside them does provide some interesting insights into their behavior and beliefs, information that will aid me greatly at understanding the NPCs as a whole.

Which did remind him of important business that he had to attend to, business that was the result of efforts he and Punitto Moe put into action about a month and a half ago by this point in time. The preliminary scouts, the stealth summons that the both of them compiled together only three days after their arrival, finally bore fruit in their efforts to map out the territories of the surrounding land and to get a feeling as to the relative strength and stability of the neighboring countries.